Badger5Chris Nott

Thread: Wheel Bearing

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Cool Wheel Bearing

Looking for help guys !

Noisey rumbling from front has got worse in last few weeks. Thought at first it was tyre roar, but never had it when tyres were new. Now on certain corners ( left hand ) under throttle I get a pattering / rumbling sound. This makes me think it's the offside wheel bearing. Out with Audi tech yesterday, and could not get it to do it. Now surely a wheel bearing would not be an intermittent fault. Also tested car on full lock to check it wasn't a drive shaft issue.

Audi tech was great though and at least acknowledged my dody rear shocks and ordered new revised items that the service dept. said didn't exist yet.......yeah right, only been around for the last 18 months
    10 Plate / 2010 Ibis S3 - Buckets, Bose, Black Optics Grill, GSM Prep + IPhone4 cradle, Light & Rain Sensors, Interior Light Pack, PDC+,19" BBS CH Black Edition Alloys, GIAC Stg1, VWR Panel Filter, VWR custom front springs, VW Uprated Rear ARB. Mich PSS Tyres

To do: 2010 Rns-e, Haldex Performance Controller.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Status
    Wheel bearing wouldn't be. Does it do it over bumps?

J.
    Married and blonde yes, but still a guy with a poor taste in usernames!

Mercedes Benze E-class 350 sport convertable, black, pacha grey leather, 19" AMG rims, HK stero and a few more toys
    VW Scirocco 2.0Tsi GT with Revo stage 2, evoms induction kit, lowered, short shift, miltek
    BMW 330 Coupe M sport Black, Black leather, Nav and a lot of other options.
    BMW Z4 Coupe Sport in black with a few toys - going friday and gonna be missed by my lad.
    A3 2.0Tdi S-Line DSG. Gone but not forgotten

Ibis S3 Fan Club

Status

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by marriedblonde
    Wheel bearing wouldn't be. Does it do it over bumps?

J.
    Nope, but the other strange one is that if you sit at 70 with light throttle and then accelerate to 80/90 while ever your accelerating the noise gets louder. Ease off and it goes away, so it can't be tyre noise.

I'm confused
    10 Plate / 2010 Ibis S3 - Buckets, Bose, Black Optics Grill, GSM Prep + IPhone4 cradle, Light & Rain Sensors, Interior Light Pack, PDC+,19" BBS CH Black Edition Alloys, GIAC Stg1, VWR Panel Filter, VWR custom front springs, VW Uprated Rear ARB. Mich PSS Tyres

To do: 2010 Rns-e, Haldex Performance Controller.

Neutral

Status

thrumming noise over 35 mph

japper my car has just developed a thrumming or kind of whinning noise over 35 mph, it is still there when i flip to neutral. It becomes a higher pitch as i put on speed,driving me potty, iwas thinking of wheel bearings too ,booked into have a tech test drive the car
    EBONY BLACK 2TDI DSG SPORT

Neutral

Status
    Japper I had this after a service, at about 70 the noise would start then stop below 70. The plastic under the engine bay was loose (some dingbat had forgotten to screw it back on). when screwed down, noise went away.
    3.2 A3, Manual, Lava Gray, Votex Kit, Red Leather (Pimped!), Bose, Phatbox (hacked), Xenons auto lights etc.
    Just Fitted, EBC Sport discs (front) and red stuff pads all round. My god do they stop quick.

Reverse Gear

Status

Tyre roar

My SB has just gone over 40,000 miles and has v.bad noise from rear nearside. I took it to the dealer with suspect wheel bearing problem and they found the rear tyres were warped. (Tyres are Goodyear F1's and had around 10,000 miles only on them). This is the second set of F1's and the first were trouble free.

Took car to Kwik-Fit who removed the tyres and contacted Goodyear. They (both KF & Goodyear) were aware of the fault and stated it affected BMW's and Audi's where the rear suspension was tuned for high speed autobahns rather than UK roads - they believed that rear bush wear at around 30K+ miles causes the car to 'skip' round roundabouts and the like, introducing this abnormal tyre wear. KF have lots of corporate clients bringing their tyres in half worn for replacement as the road noise is unbearable.

Audi do not believe the bushes are worn but have offered to adjust the rear suspension for free when I have the tyres replaced. They have stated they will set the car up for UK roads (!) thought that would have been done at the factory . . .

4th Gear

Status
    "set the car up for UK roads" - exactly, why not at the factory or PDI?

Be interested to hear what they adjust exactly and why the rest of us won't have this 'UK' set-up!!!!!!!!!

Bizarre!
    Sportback