steering

T

tinka

car went in today,for the creaking,i thought i would get it checked before i fit the springs,and they have just phoned back to confirm that a new steering rack neeeds to be fitted,so its booked in for the 22nd,
good service too,didnt try and fob me off or anything?.

no great rush,i reckon about 3 weeks once the racks done,and ive motivated myself?,
the kw's by the way,have the middle coils closer together,as opposed to the lower coils being closer on most others,not important i know,just never seen springs done that way before,ill post up a pic later to explain.

Tinka, how many miles has the rack done please, out of interest...

just over,13500,although i started to listen for it just lately,because of the recent threads,i had to have the radio off and the fan low,so to be fair it might of been doing it for a while.

Does anyone have the part number for the modified steering rack? I've spoken to my dealer and they couldn't find it?

I doesn't matter if its for right hand drive. But at least I have someting to start with.

I don't have the part number but they were updated after about Feb / March 2006. I had one fitted a few weeks ago, and so far so good. They should know about it as it is a recognised problem, in the UK anyway!

picked mine up,after a new rack was fitted,pulled out the dealers,and guess what,it made the same noise,so i drove around the block just to make sure,and then went back,and asked the service rep,to sit in it and listen,its going in tuesday,for the tech to have a listen?.

he thought it might be the bearings on the suspension struts?,also the loaner,which was an a4 avant tdi,felt realy lively,more so than mine.