Monster MotorsportEM Tuning

Thread: Fuel prices

Fuel prices

I have just downloaded the European fuel prices for as I'm taking my A3 on holiday to Switzerland and Austria via France and Germany next week.

Just out of interest and to prove that we are paying too much in the UK, these are the Diesel / 95 petrol prices per litre:

France - 78p / 90p
    Germany - 78p / 91p
    Switzerland - 77p / 75p
    Austria - 71p / 80p

Also note that in all the European countries Diesel is much cheaper / litre than 95 Lead free petrol.

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status

Re: Fuel prices

weird how diesel costs more here - my cynical mind put it down to the fact that they are becoming more and more popular.

Diesel is much more popular in Europe than it is here because not only do you get more miles to the litre but is cheaper as well.

I think part of the reason Diesel is more expensive here is to do with the company car culture that exists much more in the UK than in mainland Europe. Most company cars are Diesel and the individual drivers are not really concerned how much they pay for a litre of fuel, as in most cases, someone else is paying.

Controversial & Contradictive

Status

When I first opted for a diesel car in 2002, diesel was exactly the same price as unleaded. I've seen it 7p per litre more expensive recently.

Gonad

Status

I was reading that Optimax is made in Ellesmere Port which is not too far from here, if this is the case how the hell does someone in Austria pay less for it when it is shipped over there and we pay more when it is made in our Country?? It really does wind me up!!!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

I think the answer is TAX. So much of the cost of a litre of either Petrol or Diesel is Tax and I assume that other European countries do not charge the same level as our wonderful Government.

Their Governments certainly don't seem so anti-car as ours and most of them have far better alternatives to using a car, especially to get into city centres.

1st Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I think the answer is TAX. So much of the cost of a litre of either Petrol or Diesel is Tax and I assume that other European countries do not charge the same level as our wonderful Government.

Their Governments certainly don't seem so anti-car as ours and most of them have far better alternatives to using a car, especially to get into city centres.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is old Sleezeball Blair not taking about 80% now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif[/img]

It's certainly something like that but I think it's more to do with Old Prudence otherwise known as Gordon Brown !

Numptie of the highest order

Status

If memory serves it's actually 47.5p + 17.5% VAT so yes you got it right that's tax on tax... too much is being blamed on the current government a lot of the [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif[/img] happening now with the public services and this kind of thing was started under maggie the idiot and the tories that said they (new labour) could have done a lot more to correct things in the last 10 years so should all be shot!

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Most company cars are Diesel and the individual drivers are not really concerned how much they pay for a litre of fuel, as in most cases, someone else is paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whilst a company car driver may not pay for the fuel at the station,we are taxed on fuel provided by employers.

I pay around 53.00 tax per month.

My employer also saves a few pence per litre in having fuel cards.

Fuel prices impact on everyone,not just 'Joe Public' handing over hard cash at the till.

Status

Wow 53 a month for fuel... I spend more than that a week

6th Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow 53 a month for fuel... I spend more than that a week

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm lucky if I use 53 of fuel a month,but I like the convenience of the card so have kept it on rather than handed it back.

Just pointing out that company car fuel is not 'free'.

As with company car tax,the higher the CO2 figure,the higher the fuel tax.

1st Gear

Status

A litre of diesel may be cheaper than a litre of petrol, but here on the continent we pay A LOT MORE roadtax for diesel cars than for petrol cars. They are also a lot more expensive to buy, because of higher taxes.

LPG used to be very popular here in Holland. Only about 50cents instead of the 1.55Euro per litre. The flipside is that (depending on the type of gas installation) you can pay upto 3 times as much roadtax.

This is stupid, because the whole world should be running on LPG. It is basically a waste product from the oil refinery process that is normally just flared off (what a waste!). It burns sooo much cleaner than petrol and diesel. In this day and age, with the environmental issues becoming more and more important, the governments should be promoting the use of gas over pertol and diesel, but instead they are taxing it at ridiculous levels. The world really is governed by the oil industry...

Lord of War

Status

No, the focus should be on Hydrogen fuel cells, and I believe this is the way that the japs are swinging at the moment with their R & D. Water as the only emission? It's the only way forward.

Numptie of the highest order

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    No, the focus should be on Hydrogen fuel cells, and I believe this is the way that the japs are swinging at the moment with their R & D. Water as the only emission? It's the only way forward.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you are getting the hydrogen from a carbon neutral source as it's not actually that efficent yet and it takes a huge ammount of electricity to turn the water into hydrogen in the first place.