first service inc brake fluid change??

steve184

Reaction score
Had a letter through post saying my car needs brake fluid changing and was quite surprised.... thought surely the brake fluid doesn't need changing as often as the engine oil??? usually every other time??

Anyway checked my service book and yes apparentyl needs changing ever 2 years. It also says that it is charged seperately to a normal extended service - which seems daft to me?? If its needed every 24 months aswel as normal service why isn't it 'built-in' to the normal service. Surely its like saying car needs an oil change every 12 months but oil is charged seperately???

Seems daft to me!

It's rare for the service to come up exactly on the 2 year date. (the majority of us are on AVS)

Most of us moan because the staelers try and sting us for the brake fluid service early, at either the first or second service /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

well mine is goiong to last the 24 months right up until the day - it is now showing 17 days or 3000 miles - so the time will be up before the mileage is. I don't do a lot of miles perhaps this is why - the car is nearly 2 years old (04) and currently has 9,244 miles on it.

So basically then i am going to get stung for a service AND a brake fluid change arn't I???

Steve

well the reason i say stung is by my original point.... if a brake fluid change is needed at the same time as the service then it should all be rolled into the service as a service means - scheduled maintenence which relates to the mileage and age of the vehicle - in my case the car needs a service and brake fluid change so this is what my first service should cover????

but the service element is a fixed cost, regardless of when you need it. My second AVS will be due at 36k miles when the car will be about 18 months old. There's no way i'll be getting the brake fluid done 6 months early just to tie it in with the service schedule.

I dont quite see what the problem is here.

Brake fluid servicing is a fixed cost, and not included in any interval or AVS schedule servicing.

This is better, as already pointed out by eeef, as it saves you money - i.e. your not paying for a brake fluid service every service....

... but i am tho! cos my services are prob going to last the full 24 months....

back the bus up here theres no problem im trying to get my head round it thats all

I'm in the same boat as Steve. low mileage meaning I will be having my first service at the 2 year mark. The way I'd be looking at it is that the brake fluid refill was always going to be an extra expense no matter what, but that I am lucky in that assuming my mileage stays the same I will always get it done the same time as a normal service, thus saving me another trip to the dealer and another day without my car.

Brake fluid cost is fairly minor anyway and regardless of the miles 2 years or there abouts is the norm. for brake fluid. Think about the deterioration in the fluid over time not just the use it gets.

£53 or the potential of brake fade with contaminated fluid!

No contest for me.

I personally think its one of the most worthwhile ££££ spent on a car (on a par with tyres!)

£53 - wishin! i've just been quoted £80... plus £295 for service - thats £375 for a 1st (minor??) service???

Phone another dealer and get a quote or phone them back and try to chip them a bit. It could be that they have quoted the price for changing the brake fluid when not tagged on to a service

i tried the 2 closest dealers to me and they both were the same within about 5 quid. might try a volkswagan dealer - perhaps they would be cheaper and by rights should still be able to service it and keep service history up

I've just had a brakefluid service done in isolation by Links Audi in Macc for £53. It was for an A4, but I can't see it being any different for an A3.

were they any good? leave your car in reasonable condition afterwards??? I seem to be picking all the idiotic dealers recently who treat 20 grand cars like 500 quid bangers and im sick of it.

do you have the number handy might give them a ring - macclesfield is a bit of a trek but if it saves me a bit of money prob worth it.

I've posted a few reviews of Links Audi in the "Dealers" section. The latest review is HERE

Another HERE

Links Audi
Beech Lane
Macclesfield, SK10 2DW
Phone: 01625 612200

Back on topic, phone around for a few quotes, and then get your dealer to match the quote. But don't neglect the brakes, get the service done.

will they be willing to 'haggle' though? will their prices, hourly rates etc not be 'set in stone' as it were?

Yes, their labour rates are fixed(unless they do you a big favour because you're their best customer), but it is only 0.4 hours for the service, which @ £90/hr is only £36. Add the cost of the fluid and maybe a few quid for fluid disposal.

No not at all, I was quoted one price over the phone, booked the car in and had the service and when I went to pay it was another £20. Mentioned the quote and they just dropped it no questions asked.

J.

Most places seem to charge about £80 to £90 for the brake fluid change on an A3 from what I've seen.