SFQ Satnav camera detection in France

bobtooke

Reaction score
I know radar detectors are banned in France and Le Bill will make you crush yours if caught BUT how about GPS based detection?
Would I get away with my Tomtom?
Anyone know?
Cheers
Bob

you'll be fine if it's satnav based etc because they won't know and can't do anything about it. Loads of people got stopped on the way to LeMans last year and they did get their radar detectors etc crushed and fines etc but no-one with pds / sat nav had any problem.

JaminBen, Do you know if the French use any speed cameras on the Autoroutes, particularly the A26 Calais to Reims and the A4 Reims to Strasbourg as I will be driving along those in a couple of weeks time.

Also, what is the position with regard to use of headlights during the daytime. I know it's recommended by do most drivers comply ?

Dave

I know this is not on your route to Reims, but there is a fixed camera on the autoroute just north of Calais, on the southbound carriageway in the central reservation, although it is very clearly signposted. It's rear facing and in a 110kph area. I have found that fixed cameras (of which there are a quite a few further south around Provence region) are always clearly posted about 400m or so before the camera. 2,000 miles of driving in France last September and I didn't see a single fixed camera that wasn't clearly identified.

The gendarme do enjoy hiding in bushes though with their mobile hand held units. If you see a dark blue Peugeot 306 on the hard shoulder then there is a good chance there is a camera peering out of the back window.

Thanks for that Rob, I keep my eyes open.

David, sorry for the late reply. I haven't been on this forum much lately.

I am completely unfamiliar with those autoroutes, as I tend to stay on the A6 A7 A9 A81. A20 on occasion.

My gps-based "detector" doesn't give me a map per se, so I can't tell you their positions.

As was indicated, all fixed radars are clearly anounced by a large, rectangular signpost on the right of the road. However, in addition to the 1,500 fixed radars, there are over 600 laser guns. These are hand-held on the side of a road, most frequently just after an overpass. There remain quite a few radar-equipped station wagons. These are unmarked Renault 21s and Peugeot 306SWs. I have seen white, dark grey and dark blue versions.

If you understand French, there is a phone number to be called just before leaving: it gives you positions of fixed radars, as well as mobile radars sighted that day, along your intended route.

If there is a language barrier, I'd be happy to look up the fixed radars' positions for you.

Ben.

Thanks for the offer Ben, but I think I'll rely on seeing the signs. I must admit I've never seen any up to now on either the A26 or the A4 but I have spotted a police estate with a camera on one occassion.

Here is a good site to find more information. It does require you to register, and once that is done an english version is available.

The best part about it is the availability of GPS downloads for PDA-nav systems.

www.radarsfixes.com