Air Filter & Milltek

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
I have just talked myself into buying a Milltek system for my 2.0 TDI, and I was wondering if I should also be replacing the Air Filter as well to help it rev a little easier and hopefully gain me a little something extra. Has anyone changed their air filter in their TDI if so what too? Of course K&N spring to mind but is this a bit chav-ish or is there something better on the market?? Any advice guys?

depends if its an element,or cone filter etc,ive used the k&n elements before,in a couple of passat tdi's,but didnt notice any difference,

but used in conjuction with the exhaust,then it will help,i guess they will compliment each other,most of these mods are designed to work with other modifications,so every little helps,

ive read on a few occasions though,that the oil on the k&n's can mess up the maf sensor.

All Cotton filters (K&N, Green etc) will have to be cleaned and oiled at some point. K&N say you should do this at least every 30k miles.

You can get foam filters (pipercross, ITG) I have heard stories of pieces coming off and clogging up turbos, but then some people have had problems with Oil getting on the MAF sensor.

You can get a Panel filter, which does make a little bit of difference with the milltek, or you can spend a little bit more and get a BMC CDA.

Like the exhaust the induction kit on an oil burner will not make the noise it does on a petrol it simply gives you better induction, without the boy racer noise. Well you get a little bit more noise from the DV/Actuator

Just had a quote from Milltek for the CAT-BACK With Front Silencer Bypass Pipe and they said £396.86 including fitting at their factory (I live local-ish).

Is that a good price?

If you have a look at the comment from MikeP on my similar question in a thread called zorst he says that a cat back will do f**k all interms of power, and if you pop across onto TyreSmoke and do some checking the Milltek gets some really really poor reviews from people that have them fitted.

So what's recommended then? And don't forget I've got a diesel, and I don't want it to sound anymore like a tracker than it already does!! Even tho I wouldn't expect the exhaust to give me much in the way of power anyway...

I too have read some negative comments about miltek but have only praise for them, my last 3 cars have been fitted with milteks with no problems. My previous A3 had a remap, full miltek and a green cotton panel filter, both the zorst and filter improved breathability noticeably, not sure if there was an increase in actual power but there was in how it was delivered. I have the full miltek on my 2.0T and find it as usual not much louder than standard but better sounding, my worst nightmare would be to sound like a boy racer.
I am returning to a an A3 on the 7th june (2.0tdi s-line) and wont hesitate to go down the same route. Sound wise on the diesel it makes it sund a little more petrol like on boost which is always a good thing IMO. Go on treat yourself you know you want to....)

And on those comments I think I'll be putting my orde in... thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I wasn't looking for a boy racer sound or a perfromance increase, just a better sound and look of the car.

Cheers Spin140, and good look with the tdi only 1 week to wait - don't tell me your not excited!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

I had the miltek taken off the GTi yesterday and can definetly confirm the sound is not much different to standard, I week to go and yep well excited /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif