20.0 TDI idle speed

mfspen

Reaction score
Recently taken delivery of a new SB 2.0 TDI, and have a query on the idle speed. I find that even when warmed up, the engine idles at around 850-900rpm. Is this faster than it should be ?

I find that when creeping forward in traffic, I constantly have to slip the clutch, as the forward speed is too high even when not touching the throttle at all.

On a related issue, when the engine is cold, there is a great deal of vibration when letting the clutch in and pulling away in 1st.

i asked the same question about my A42.0 tdi, even went back to the dealer, mine is about 875-900 (hard to tell on the dial) but just sounds fast if you are stood in front of the bonnet listenning, and have to adjust my driving technique when in traffic to compensate for the clutch/revs control, i have a new 1.9 tdi caddy and a new 2.2 cdi sprinter which both idle slightly slower and sound more acceptable at tickover.

Mines about the same (sometime a little slower depending how hot the engine is). But I had a 2.0 TDI A3 when mine was in for a service and that was pretty much the same.

I believe diesels have to idle faster than petrols,because of the higher compression the pistons have to overcome.
If they turned the idle down,they'd stall.
So I'm told anyway.
Sounds about right.

My 2.0 TDI also idles around 900 and the DSG will cause it to creap unless the foot brake is applied.

Just to break with the norm, mine idles at 825rpm, and was 850rpm before the Oettinger remap.

Mine will get going up (that's from stationary) a 1 in 4 hill just using the idle! It's amazing.