170PS A3 2.0 TDI arrives

Probably, but why, I wonder. Although, not that it makes any difference in this country.

Lol. I joined this forum searching for this information, oh well.

Not worth the wait.

The A4's higher top speed might also have something to do with aerodynamics - I'd guess the saloon would be much more slippery.

What's more interesting though is that in the A3, the Quattro TDI 170 shaves 0.4 seconds off the 0-60mph time (8.2s vs 7.8s). It proves that even with the extra weight of AWD, the extra torque of the 170bhp engine is used more effectively. Imagine what it would do remapped!

But it's funny how they don't shave that time of the standard 140 tdi with or without quattro.

My golf is apparently .5 second slower than the non 4-motion varient. Yeah right.

The press have not been very complimentary about this engine at all.
I've read tests of it in various cars (Seat,VW),in various magazines.
Some mention the way it makes its power isn't great and most/all mention the Audi diesels are falling way behind the competition in terms of refinement.
I must admit,even my wife's little 1.5 diesel Renault unit puts mine to shame,when idling especially.
Hers ticks away nicely,mine is unmistakebly diesel.

[ QUOTE ]
Some mention the way it makes its power isn't great and most/all mention the Audi diesels are falling way behind the competition in terms of refinement.
I must admit,even my wife's little 1.5 diesel Renault unit puts mine to shame,when idling especially.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely agree. A while ago I had to move my Sportback 2.0TDI off my parents' driveway to let my Dad's Focus TDCi out. The A3 sounded like a tractor from cold, whereas the Ford was noticeably quieter. A bit annoying when his car is worth half what mine is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

The Ford TDCi can sound just as agricultural. The Citroen (C4) and Honda diesels on the other hand are very quiet. The beener newer common rails are much quieter as well.

i think sound proofing has a lot to do with how quiet a diesel engine is from the inside too?.

perhaps not a completely fair comparison, but my 330D was fabulously quiet, both outside and inside the car, and i completely agree with the Audi engine sounding very coarse and agricultural by comparison, despite the bmw engine being about 5 years older!

jumping from one to the other it really showed up..

I never felt the audi was unrefined til I had the bmw.. my last diesels before the audi were a Mitsubishi L200, a rover 420, and Citroen Bx (spit spit).. the A4 is awesome by comparison with those!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would Expect the 1.5 to be quiter than a 2.0tdi. But hey thats my opinion.
I'm happy with mine and would not swap it for anything else.
In fact my parents had a Mercedes petrol and that ended up after 2yrs to be as loud as mine.
In fact the Merc was that good my parents went for Lexus is250 after the 3yrs with the Merc. ( Said they were not happy with the dealerships attitude)

At the end of the day it is what you want and what you prefer.
But when it comes to Petrols people in general want them louder not quieter.

"agricultural" engines are know getting very high tech and can be very quiet,

when driving and cruising around you dont really notice much difference.. besides i quite like the ruff diesel raw.

[ QUOTE ]
when driving and cruising around you dont really notice much difference.. besides i quite like the ruff diesel raw.

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously?! IMO there's nothing nice about the noise the VAG 2.0TDI makes! Even when it's on the move, you can hear the turbo whistle with the windows down ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Keep the windows closed and use the air conditioning !

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Seriously?! IMO there's nothing nice about the noise the VAG 2.0TDI makes! Even when it's on the move, you can hear the turbo whistle with the windows down ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, it's begining to knaw on me too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

I must be the odd one out as I like the turbo whistle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Keep the windows closed and use the air conditioning !

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL! I do normally, but with the nice weather we had a couple of weeks ago, I was having fun with the global window opening/closing feature. When returning to the car after it had been out in the sun for the afternoon, I dropped all four windows as I walked up to it and then drove away - that's when I really noticed the whistle! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yes I think that's what I normally do in hot weather, but it's such a long time ago I've almost forgotten!!!!