Volks AutosSky Insurance

Thread: Kerbed RS6

2nd Gear

Status

Kerbed RS6

Guys,

One of our RS6s got kerbed today [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

What's the best option..........get it repaired, get an RS6 "style" wheel or get an official wheel from Audi?

I don't really fancy having one wheel that's a different colour from the rest, so am considering the new Audi wheel as my option, but am looking for your experiences and opinions please.

Cheers.

2. # ADS
    ADS

imported_Skywalker

Re: Kerbed RS6

Ouch! I've done one of mine and I'm in the same mind as you about getting it refurbed and looking different. How about we wait until we both knacker another one each and I get Danny to do us a full set cheap? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

2nd Gear

Status

Sounds like a plan Booster [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Status

You will be able to get it repaired, they can colour match pretty well.

J.

imported_CurryMilkShake

I'd go with the repair.. i had my beemer wheels refurbed and the colour match was perfect.. so it saves a packet, looks good, and you're not quite so gutted if it happens again!

oh and when you change your tyres next, switch to a brand with a lip to help minimise that!

;-)

2nd Gear

Status

Whats the deal with these repairs. Are they actually any good? How much damage can be repaired?

Yes, I've got a couple of kerbed ones but I was only guilty on one occassion.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd go with the repair.. i had my beemer wheels refurbed and the colour match was perfect.. so it saves a packet, looks good, and you're not quite so gutted if it happens again!

oh and when you change your tyres next, switch to a brand with a lip to help minimise that!

;-)

[/ QUOTE ]

What's the deal with these lipped tyres then.....any more info anyone?

Lord of War

Status

Eagle F1's. it's just a bonus as the performance of the tyres is the selling point.

2nd Gear

Status

Cool, thanks for your input guys!

Any recommendations for wheel repair in the Glasgow area?

5th Gear

Status

I used wicked wheels and do not think much to them at all..

4th Gear

Status

I had one of my RS6 style wheels refurbed(Audi took they car to the guy they recommended for me) and although the repair was spot on the guy wasnt able to get the right colour match, it was more of a grey than a silver you could only really see it when the sun shone on the wheel and the light reflected of certain angles.

I phoned loads of people and even emailed Ronal who make the wheels. The colour code hasnt and wont be released by Ronal due to the contract they have with Audi, Audi wont even release it to the dealers, they obviously want people to buy new wheels. All the companies I spoke to about having it repainted the correct colour said they wont get the same match but it should be pretty close. I wasnt prepared to take the risk again and put the cost of the respray towards a new wheel, which set me back 280+VAT with 20% discount from the dealer.

The wheel on the left of this pic is the refurbed one

2nd Gear

Status

Thanks again for the input guys.

Has anyone bought any of the replicas that are on Ebay and if so how do they match colour-wise to the real RS6s. Also are there any other differences, ie weight etc?

imported_CurryMilkShake

Its a fair point about colour match -

I had all four wheels refurbished at the same time when I bought the beemer, so colour match was less of an issue as they all ended up the same..

they were in a SHOCKING state, big chunks missing from some edges, scrapes all the way round on all of them, including on some spoke faces.. had planned to replace, but was advised to try the refurb first ()

the refurb result was excellent, stunned with the difference to be honest, wished I had some 'before pics' but heres the 'afters'.. cost me 160 for all four, and all four had been appalling.. money well spent in my opinion! looked great, but didnt cost the earth, and i wouldnt have been so gutted if it happened again..

Oh and Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 also have the anti-kerb lip - but the Eagle F1s are loads better in my opinion!

imported_Skywalker

[ QUOTE ]

Has anyone bought any of the replicas that are on Ebay and if so how do they match colour-wise to the real RS6s. Also are there any other differences, ie weight etc?

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do DO NOT mix a replica wheel with the genuine ones. There will be weight differences that could lead to unpredictable handling.

2nd Gear

Status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do DO NOT mix a replica wheel with the genuine ones. There will be weight differences that could lead to unpredictable handling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thought that was the case. Thanks Booster.

Status

I think they are also different widths!