VW axe models - Audi next ?

Amchlolor

Reaction score
VW's fallen fleet:

Polo: 1.2 petrol SE, 1.4 petrol S, SE and Sport, 1.4 TDI E, S, SE and Sport, 1.9 TDI 130 Sport.

Golf: 1.4 petrol S, 1.4 FSI S, 1.6 petrol Sport, 2.0 FSI GT (plus 4MOTION), 1.9 TDI 105 Sport DSG, all 3dr SE models.

Golf Plus: 1.4 petrol S, 1.6 and 1.9 petrol Sport, 2.0 FSI GT, 2.0 TDI GT. Touran: 2.0 FSI 150 SE and Sport trims.

Passat saloon and estate: 1.6 petrol S and SE trims, 2.0 and 3.2 petrol Sport trim, 2.0 petrol SEL.

I'm glad I didn't choose a 1.4tdi Polo for the wife three weeks ago then !
No mention of this from the dealer,of course...

They're only being discontinued because not enough people are buying them, its not like the car is being replaced... Dealers as you well know are the last to know about these things.

[ QUOTE ]
They're only being discontinued because not enough people are buying them, its not like the car is being replaced... Dealers as you well know are the last to know about these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but if those model Polos are unpopular enough to be axed,it surely stands to reason that people wouldn't rush to buy it when we come to sell it !

I'd also be well hacked off if I'd bought one three weeks ago,whether the dealer knew of this or not,only to find out that they would be selling them as 'end of line bargains' only a few weeks later.

So,all round,I'm glad I didn't choose the Polo.

PS,how would I "well know" dealers are the last to hear of these things ?

Do you think I work for a dealer ?

Are you telling me Autoexpress know before dealers do ?

Well, the flip-side is that many of these models may be available at a bargain price now. Could be good if you're looking at a new car for the missus.

Dealers are there to sell stock, if the manufacturer over produced on models that aren't popular they have incentives to shift them hence the dealer isn't going to loose a sale by telling you that particular model is being discontinued plus the fact as proved many times on here the sales people dont have a clue about new models / spec changes etc etc. Doubt it would make the slightest difference to resale on the car either as the average jo bloggs doesn't know one model from the next.

Oh well I bought the 1.4. TDi Polo for the girlfriend and even reading this I have no regrets!

And i'll worry about the trade in in 3 years when I'll be part ex'ing a nice little car with a cracking engine.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah,but if those model Polos are unpopular enough to be axed,it surely stands to reason that people wouldn't rush to buy it when we come to sell it !

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely you choose a particular model because it's the one YOU want, not because you think someone else might want it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely you choose a particular model because it's the one YOU want, not because you think someone else might want it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you'll find most private buyers look ahead and take resale value and appeal into consideration.

I certainly wouldn't let the missus buy a car that I knew,or suspected,would be 'sticky' in three years time.

There's no absolute proof that these Polo models will prove problematic to sell in a few years time,but I still say the fact they have been axed from the range proves a lack of demand which must filter down to the resale market.

That's daft, If / when you spec a new car I'd spec it for me not anyone else that's surely why you buy a new car!

I think the whole VAG group could do with loosing a load of models, there doesn't need to be as many as there are engines or trim levels. I'd start by removing any S-line option from cars without a proper engine same with Quattro and DSG then see what your left with. I'd also stop making 6Litre W12s and S cars that both seem to compete etc.

[ QUOTE ]
That's daft, If / when you spec a new car I'd spec it for me not anyone else that's surely why you buy a new car!

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry,but I find that hard to take from someone who has bought a VAG car,which you know will probably hold it's value and appeal.

Would you let your missus buy a bright pink Micra,knowing full well buyers and dealers will turn their backs on it in three years ?

If you would,you're in the minority.
Most private buyers try and balance their desires with future marketability.

As I meant if I was buying a new car (which I probably wouldn't again as I don't like 1st year depretiation) I would spec it exactely as I want as I did for my Clio many moons ago whether someone would buy the car when I didn't want it anymore wouldn't be a factor (I bought a yellow s3 with yellow seats) as I think the car will always sell.

[ QUOTE ]
As I meant if I was buying a new car (which I probably wouldn't again as I don't like 1st year depretiation) I would spec it exactely as I want as I did for my Clio many moons ago whether someone would buy the car when I didn't want it anymore wouldn't be a factor (I bought a yellow s3 with yellow seats) as I think the car will always sell.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough,but I think you're in the minority there.

The majority of people choose their make of car,model and colour with one eye on it's resale,unless they simply don't have to worry about it (company car or loaded).

We're moving onto a slightly different argument from the VW one though.

Making your car suit you is different from buying a car that VW themselves have decided isn't shifting.

The questions really is,do you think the fact VW think the Polos mentioned aren't selling will make them hard to shift.

I say yes.A lack of demand for new ones means a lack of demand for used ones.Stands to reason.

I tell you something though.The VW salesman I spoke to was evidently one lying sack of sh....

All the crap about "lead time" and "popular car".

Yeah ?...VW disagree mate...

I think the only thing I would consider with regard to resale value when I'm buying a new car might be the colour. To buy a new A3 in a strange colour might make it's resale value a little less. But as I prefer Silver to any other colour it's never been a problem.

As far as the resale value of any opinions or extras are concerned then I have what I want. If I don't get anything back for it when I sell or trade-in so be it.

My wife is on her 3rd VW Polo (1.4 petrol) SE and has always got a good trade-in value when she has changed.

[ QUOTE ]
My wife is on her 3rd VW Polo (1.4 petrol) SE

[/ QUOTE ]

She won't be getting a fourth ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Perhaps Audi will go back to only producing the 3-door version of the A3!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't have thought so David.

They only sell the 5 door in the USA,and it appears to be selling very well over there.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They might well do! In this month's Glass's Guide Sportbacks are being hit for £725 depreciation. The equivilent 3 doors are around £250.

The trade obviously aren't receiving the Sportback well which I find strange as I see loads about (and have financed quite a few as well).

So were just left with the R32, golf gti, polo gti, and my car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can forsee the death of the normal 1.6Fsi,2.0Fsi and 1.9tdi A3's,for sure.

Maybe leave the standard 1.6 as an entry level model for 'womenfolks',the 2.0T,2.0tdi and 3.2 ?

[ QUOTE ]
They might well do! In this month's Glass's Guide Sportbacks are being hit for £725 depreciation. The equivilent 3 doors are around £250.

The trade obviously aren't receiving the Sportback well which I find strange as I see loads about (and have financed quite a few as well).

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you look at 'Whole life costs' on the Glasses Guide site, which includes fuel, servicing, depreciation, etc, the figures in pence/mile for 10kmiles/year are :-

A3 2.0 TDI 3 dr
Year 1 - 56p
Year 2 - 52p
Year 3 - 50p

A3 2.0 TDI 5 dr
Year 1 - 46p
Year 2 - 49p
Year 3 - 49p

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But if you look at 'Whole life costs' on the Glasses Guide site, which includes fuel, servicing, depreciation, etc, the figures in pence/mile for 10kmiles/year are :-

A3 2.0 TDI 3 dr
Year 1 - 56p
Year 2 - 52p
Year 3 - 50p

A3 2.0 TDI 5 dr
Year 1 - 46p
Year 2 - 49p
Year 3 - 49p

[/ QUOTE ]

less depreciation in year one for the SB !, i dont think so !

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be the fact that there are so many about that makes them possibly worth a little less. Perhaps the 3-door is still regarded by some as a little more exclusive.

More likely the ones being sold are to company car drivers. There are some cracking lease deals on Sportbacks at the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
less depreciation in year one for the SB !, i dont think so !

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's the Glass's figures for a 2005-05 plate A3 2.0 TDI trade-in after 1 year :-

3 dr
Cost new £18800
Trade in £16200
Depreciation = £2600

5dr
Cost new £19300
Trade in £17450
Depreciation = £1850

Their figures, not mine !

I'm off home now but I can't find anything like those figures in GG!!

I would assume that more Sportbacks are purchased as company cars than 3-doors. I know the last company I worked for had a wide choice of cars but they had to have 4 doors !

What cars figures

Same model ( 2.0tdi sport)

3 door
New £ 20105
Year 1 £ 15671 (22%)
Year 2 £ 13806 (31%)
Year 3 £ 12002 (40%)

Sportback
New £ 20605
Year 1 £ 16061 (22%)
Year 2 £ 14149 (31%)
Year 3 £ 12301 (40%)

Looks like they've been lazy and just assumed both depreciate at the same rate.

[ QUOTE ]
I would assume that more Sportbacks are purchased as company cars than 3-doors. I know the last company I worked for had a wide choice of cars but they had to have 4 doors !

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit embarrassing,asking clients to squeeze in the back of a 3 door.

It was interesting to see in an article in the May 2006 issue of What Car that the Audi A3 actually cost less over 3 years than the Skoda Octavia or Seat Leon. This was based on the fact that the A3 held it's value better that either the Skoda or Seat. In their article they said the A3 (didn't say which model) should be worth £9325 after 3 years giving a three year cost of £6690 (list price - trade-in)

I think most car companys are doing aswell as they did. I mean realistically now how many average people can afford a house at the current prices and buying new cars.
You have to be on a fair wedge.

Vauxhall have a good deal at the mo down the road.
If i want to buy a Vauxhall Astra VXR or any other Vauxhall brand new they will give me upto 5 years interest free, free paint and interiour protection, £1000 cash back and around £2000 off a car.
STILL WOUDN'T WANT TO SWAP MINE.
But every where as sales even clothes shops etc
There is not as much money around especially in the mids with Jag and Peugeot jobs going going gone.

I would agree with the above. The dealers we do business with are all having a hard time of it at the moment. Some have gone from selling 15-20 cars a week to 6 or 7 a week. Yes, we hate dealers as they are idiots and make money out of us but the situation is indicative of the economy of a whole at the moment. Everyone I speak to is finding it tough.