Stone Chips

wilko

Top Gear
Reaction score
I have a couple of stone chip as Im sure so does everyone else, but apart from having the whole panel resprayed what are the best ways of getting rid of them? Nothing too technical either please guys! Do Audi stealers supply touch up tens? If so does anyone know how much and what procedure (sorry got my work head on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bang.gif) I should take to get from stone cip to amazin look motor (again)?

You can get touch up paint for them. comes as base and clear coat

I have some from Stafford Audi, on Ebay. Not a bad price dunno what local dealer charges

I find it best to apply with a cocktail stick, better control than the crappy brush applicator it comes with

Linky

Once you have done that and removed those chips and have a spare £400 you could get one of these Linky

Mmmm thanks, what's "remain virtually invisible" mean tho? If you paying £400 for it you'd want a proper job!

The Porsche 997 has this fitted to the front lower half of the rear wheel arches. If the car is clean, it is invisible unless you are really looking for it. If the car is dirty though, the dirt will naturally get stuck on the edges of the film, and make it more obvious.

My experience with touch up paint is that its not that good. If you are going to do it then you need to build up the layers of paint steadily with something like a cocktail stick.

Probably easier to save some cash up and get the front end resprayed when you have enough of them to warrant it.

Chipsaway do some pretty amazing work for little money.
I got them to do my A4's bonnet before it went back to the finance company.
They only charged a fraction of what the finance company would have charged to sort a bonnet that was so chipped it was far too scary a job for me to tackle.

When I spoke to the guy at chipsaway when he did the work on my wing, he said he'd have to respray the whole bonnet to get rid chips. I didn't want to have this done unless it got really desperate.

[ QUOTE ]
What colour was it Bowfer, the A4?

[/ QUOTE ]

Flat black

Not only was it chipped,but it had these weird 'zig zag' scratches on it too.

I was utterly convinced these were caused by an Audi mechanic's overalls,but I couldn't prove it.

Chipsaway came to our warehouse and had it looking pretty damned good in no time.

Touched up the chips/scratches then machine-buffed it all.

Looked great.So much so that VW/Audi finance didn't try and charge us for a respray when they collected the car.

Given that they usually find any excuse to charge you for something,it says it all about the quality of the touch-up.

[ QUOTE ]

Are stone chips not considered normal wear an tear then?

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd think so MB,but VW/Audi finance have proven to be such a pain that we simply stopped using them.

Picky picky twits that you always have arguments with,come the final bill.They seem to want the cars back in A1 condition and will try to bill you for the littlest thing.They will also try to bill you for new parts,rather than simple repairs.

Some examples right off the top of my head are;

1/ Billed the company £400 for an allegedly missing Remote C/L 'plip' when the car involved didn't come with Remote C/L... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2/ Tried to bill us £300 for missing a service by a few hundred miles.Not missing the service full stop.Just missing it by a few hundred miles. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

3/ Tried to bill us for a new alloy to replace one that was scuffed.Like they can't be repaired.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

They also have the audacity to ask stupid prices for the cars,if you think you might want to keep it.For example,they wanted over £13k for my 3 year old,36000 mile A4.That was way OTT,as lower mileage and better spec examples were going for just over £10k on the open market.

My current car is financed through Arnold Clark,although I collected it from the local Audi dealer.

Arnold Clark have proven to be very fair come the day you wave the car bye- bye.

We had one motor that was a right mess inside.Arnold Clark said "doesn't matter,they get valeted anyway".

VW/Audi would have billed us for new seats... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

LOL!! Honda did exactly the same with me when I had a Civic VTI years ago, they seemed to think that a car after 3 years would be showroom fresh........... New lease company seems to be quite realistic in this case, they give you a book of whats acceptable and whsts not when you get the car

[ QUOTE ]
LOL!! Honda did exactly the same with me when I had a Civic VTI years ago, they seemed to think that a car after 3 years would be showroom fresh........... New lease company seems to be quite realistic in this case, they give you a book of whats acceptable and whsts not when you get the car

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread being hijacked here,but how are PCH companies ?

Thought about it for the wife's new car,but put off my company leasing problems mentioned above.

Simply couldn't afford an 'out of the blue' £400 bill come hand-back time.

Mate uses them for his own company - they seem quite good so far, but no cars returned yet so couldnt comment on that side