Retrofit Cup Holder with Symphony II (S-line)

dik

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to remove the lower facia that sits around the hazard/esp/coin tray section of the dash on the s-lines that have a symphony II head unit.

I`ve had my cup holder and I cant see how to get the facia off (without removing the radio and maybe finding some screws?)

can anyone help?

cheers

Dik

The trim comes out by just carefully pulling it. Have you found a double-din version of the cup holder somewhere? Afaik, the single-din version won't fit, and a double-din version doesn't exist.

cheers moogie /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I`ve had the cup holder off vag parts, and been told by several people that the part will fit in place of the 'euro coin tray' (well Im now hoping and praying)..

so just pull it off then, I was hoping that wouldnt be the way, wish me luck that I dont snap it.

any news on how you got on?
I've got the same problem on mine, trim comes off easy, can't for the life of me work out how the coin tray comes out,

any one know where the secret buttom is??

Okay - TROUBLE

the cup holder goes in easy, BUT the trim/fascia's hole for the coin tray front is smaller than the hole for the cup holder. so the trim doesnt go back on. Well it does but the CH dont come back out when pressed.

The cup holder works and fits in the dash okay ( I was worried about depth)

So I need a new fascia panel..

Anyone know where to get one?

I thought that the ESP buttons section may be a different width but that dont work either.

also to remove coin holder - look at the replcaement CH if you have one, on the top there are two tiny spring plastic lugs, press em down together and pull the tray.. sorted. you`ll need to eject the tray and remove the fasica to do this.

If you need pics PM me

Could you enlarge the hole in the fascia? I've seen a double-DIN conversion on an A3 where the climate control panel was reused by trimming the plastic using a Dremel cutter.

i've just completed this and it is fairly easy and looks factory fit except for one thing,

I bought 8PO862 534 C 5PR from my local dealer £24 it is the same trim line (chrome strip and shade of grey as the dash 54 plate )

As above posts all comes out easy enough until you try to put the front trim panel back on, the hole is for the coin tray and are too small by about 6mm as this panel is mounted lower in the tapering dash panel it is overall a fair bit narrower

I then also noticed the bevel of the front panel of the CH is opposite to the ESP buttons so even if modified it would sit at 45 degrees to the facia plate, mmm

I tried trimming it for width and with careful dremmeling it fits nicely and can be mounted at the right angle but you lose the curved deep corners of the original and this looks odd in the dash when closed up and frankensteins monster ish when open!! also the chrome strip is too wide if you look so it just looks wrong,

just before giving up I went back to the coin tray, gentle prising removes the front plate of that and by trimming the internal width and height to give about 0.50mm thickness (only in the back half of the trim as it is deeper than the one supplied with the cup holder so the strength is retained.) and removing the front two corners of the CH hinge where they stick out beyond the main body width You can get it to fit perfectly on the cup holder, and you retain the exterior look and trim gaps... nice, also all the work is covered by unmolested outer faces so no "scars" to give away the work!!

oh and of course you then have a stealth!! cup holder behind your euro coin tray, as I said at the top of the post, factory look except for this one detail,

try to post pics later or can email if any interest,

apologies for lengthy post, never know might help someone

cheers
Dan

wow nice one da3m,

I never thought of sticking the CT front onto the CH itself... I`ve currently reverted my dash to standard with my cup holder crying in the glove box..

I will try this out tonight..

cheers mate

Dik

I'd be interested in pics Dan! Either post them up if you can or PM me if you need to.

just havent found time to post these, anyone wanting pics of the install please pm me with your email address and I will email you back

thanks da3m, i`m still in the middle of doing this myself.....

dont panic about the gearstick, just buy a DSG and play with the paddles... LOL.

I started this mod but found the front panel for the coin tray is loose and wobbles about when clipped onto the cup holder.
Did you glue it or stick it in place ?

yes it has a drop of black silicon on each end inside the facia, didn't need it initially as I found it clipped nicely, strangely every time my wife used the car it came back off-line, I think she liked playing with it or hanging her handbag off it!! ;)

this maybe an obvious question but i'm new to all this. i've just bought all the items i need to retrofit rns-e, including card tray, i'm changing from single to double din, audi a3 8p. i'm very interested in this mod as i like having two cupholders, the card tray is a bit pointless in my eyes. will this mod work if i have an rns-e unit not symphony, i'm thinkng it will because the hole in the double din is the same size regardless, a simple yes or no will do and then i can get started!

Is slightly more complicated than yes or no. I'm sure only the internals of one of the CH will fit.

your twin CH frame won't fit in the lower position, if you leave it in then the RNS won't fit below it I think and the narrow twin-din lower facia trim has a smaller hole than yours so you'll need to mod the CH fronts or replace with modded coin tray front.

Hi, interest in any has has any luck in retro fitting the cup holder in place of the coin tray??

I have a 2007 3dr s-line with NAV, cup holder underneath the centre armrest is a wast of time.

I have just purchased this off ebay:

Any advice how to remove the coin tray? does it even fit? Plus the angle of the holder is wierd doesnt seem to be straight when out...

eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

cupholder.jpg

Do a search matey, its been done & noted for others :)

this was even better once I retro-fitted the RNS-E

6481967923_84f4a5966a_b.jpg

and how spooky that in the same week I get an Audi again, an old post I did is still being brought back to life