Connecting an MP3 Player or iPod

bobtooke

Reaction score
Anyone know how to hard wire a MP3 player to a Concert Radio/CD in place of the CD changer?

I found an article on the net on how to do it with an A8 Radio Cassette but it this relevant for a Radio/CD unit too?

Cheers in advance.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Theres an ipod adapter available from dealers...

Get a phatbox... Have a look in the ICE section for more info

[ QUOTE ]
Theres an ipod adapter available from dealers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there?

Any idea of the price?

The Audi ipod adaptor is very much like the Dension unit, but made by Blaupunkt I think. The price isn't too bad and a lot better value than a Phatbox.

The FM transmitters are useless if you travel any distance. I tried a Griffin unit on my wife's car for about 10 minutes. The problem is that FM freqencies are rarely unused across the UK so on a journey from Ipswich to Cambridge for example, there isn't a single useable frequency available, which means fiddling with the Ipod to select another frequency. Defeats the object really.

Yeah got a FM job from the States for my iPod and it's crap.

Car is going in soon fro some warranty work so may just get them to stick it in then.

I had same hassles with the quasi-legal i-Trips and they are as mentioned, all but worthless on any longish trip

I now use the Harman/Kardon Drive & Play unit which I posted here with the pic below;

http://www.audi-sport.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=377187&an=0&page=0#377187

DSC00361.jpg

Undoutably the pukka Audi product would have been my favourite, but my stupid dealer knew nothing of it when I asked @ Christmas, they just quoted me the £1700 Sat-Nav option (which happens to play MP3's too - fools)

Get a PhatNoise. Best part of my car. Works beautifully with the Concert II and means you dont have to have an ugly iPod rolling around on the dash. Also the phatbox can be modded to take any laptop harddrive (up to 100gb at the mo). It also speaks to you telling you the disk / album and track so you dont need to take your eyes off the road to select your next track / album or disk. Ebay have loads, make sure you get one with the cd changer interface cable cos Audi charge £50 for it. Any car audio shop will easilly fit it in the boot for a few quid.

Thanks for the reply fellas - the main reason I asked is that I need to connect my Tomtom 910 to the sound system for use of the 20Gb MP3 player and handsfree speaker.

At £499 the Tomtom seemed far more attractive than the factory satnav, phone prep & CD changer at a combined price of £2850. The car manufacturers do need to get real with their prices for techy stuff!

The iPod adapter sounds about right but the next question is what this actually connects. In other words, is it just a simple 3.5 jack to the Concert II AUX input or is there more to it than that?

Cheers again guys.

I assumed my Concert II does't have a CD changer control as it's a single-slot CD, which is why I went for the H/K. The ipod itself is mounted in the glovebox so is out of the way - I dismissed the dension setup because of the daft cradle thing and dangling cables

I suppose ipod integration is still quite new, but there seems the need for some decent info someplace? - other than here. of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

it is a OEM connector for the IPOD and not a jack, so it will not work for your Tom Tom

The Concert II does have full CD changer control. I have a factory fit CD changer in the glove box and all control comes from the dash mounted Concert II.

Hmmm - don't know what Boyakasha and MikeP have been doing with the FM solution. I regularly travel from Hampshire to North Wales (my parents live there) and I have to change frequency only once in the whole journey. Around Surrey/Hampshire/Berkshire I just leave it on 95.6 all the time and it's fine.

[ QUOTE ]
The Concert II does have full CD changer control. I have a factory fit CD changer in the glove box and all control comes from the dash mounted Concert II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed the concert II has CD Changer control. And as posted above, works amazingly with the phatbox also.

A definitive answer for the archives!

A lead can be purchased from Connects2 to interconnect any walkman or MP3 type device with a headphone line out (3.5mm jack) to the line in (CD changer input) of a Concert or Concert II head unit.

The Connects2 part no. is VADX001and it is available to order from any branch of Halfords for £49.99.

Of course, there is no device control from the head unit but presumably, if you are using an MP3 player of some sort (including my Tomtom) it's portable so you can easily have it's own control display close to hand.

The downside is you can't connect a CD changer at the same time, although I believe that there is a changeover switch unit available to make this possible.

Connects2 are at:
http://www.connects2.com/

Halfords are at:
http://www.halfords.com/

Hope this helps someone.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif