My exhaust has fallen off...or has it?

Karcsi

Reaction score
As I got home yesterday and rolled onto my drive, I heard what sounded like metal dragging along the tarmac. Bummer, I thought, the exhaust has dropped off. Got out, had a look, no it's fine. Have a look under the car, around the wheels. Nothing. So what the hell is making that sound?

Get back in, first roll off the drive with the engine off and windows down. Hmm, coming from my side. Switch the engine on and drive a few hundred yards. Sounds like it's something banging against the plate behind the brake discs.

Back home, raise the offsite rear wheel and spin it round a bit. A sodding pebble has got in between the farside of the disc and the protective plate / fairing, and will not come out! I guess in time it will wear down a little and pop out. I assume it can't do any damage back there?

I've had this exact same thing once before. Driving along my road, swung out ready to reverse back into my driveway and as I reversed it sounded like my exhaust was dragging along the ground. Rolled forward and it disappeared. WEnt back and the noise didn't return.

That was about 6 months ago....

I should think it will work it's way out eventually. It's just a but embarrassing in a small quiet cul-de-sac. I didn't see the neighbours coming to their windows. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

That's the trick...drive in reverse and perhaps the pebble will come out...

I get this a lot on a factory site where I do some consulting work.

It only happens in the winter because when it's icy they just throw grit down instead of salt.

It's a right royal waste of time.

Does ****** all to get rid of the ice, gets stuck in the brakes and them some knob in a 4x4xF*uk flies past and pebble dashes your car with it! Nice.

Good fun watching people flying round the car park backwards trying to dislodge the stuff though!

This has happend to be a number of times, I know the sound you mean - god its loud! When I first had it I thought my exhaust had fallen off!

Stupid tiny pebles stuck between the break disk and the heat shield...Simply push the heat sheild at the bottom and the offender will fall out!

It felt out when I reversed from my drive or the second time. Yep, defo annoying. I've been lucky then - only happen once in 2.5 years.