audi alarm system

jamessg1962

Reaction score
Insurance is due next week and i am busy surfing the net for quotes .
what i need to know is the alarm on my Audi A3 2.0 TDI 54 REG an Thatcham cat 1 or 2,any help would be appreciated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Just had a look at the current Thatcham list and the new A3(8P) has been Cat 1 since it's introduction.

Just out of interest... Whats better? Im assuming higher since they can add things to the standards?

[ QUOTE ]
Just out of interest... Whats better? Im assuming higher since they can add things to the standards?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cat1 is better... Cat1 is alarm and immobiliser. Cat2 is just immobiliser.

Nice to hear that its Cat1..

I've heard the standard Audi alarm system is poor, too.

A mate of mine has an A4 S-Line which was broken into recently - along with all the other Audi's in the car park!

Alarms aren't very loud, apparantly.

One Team

All cars manufactured in the EU must have alarms that sound for no more that 30 seconds at any one time and for a maximum of 10 times before being reset and are not allowed to produce more than 118dB of audible noise. Whether the Audi system produces this amount of noise I have no idea.

These regulations were introduced to reduce the annoyance factor of car alarms that go off in error.

It's a category 1 although thatcham don't provide a certificate as it was factory fitted.

IMHO the Audi cat-1 alarm, as fitted on my '55 A3, is pathetic in the extreme.

I had my vehicle broken in to a while ago, the alarm may or may not have sounded - if it did it was not heard inside the building where the car was parked directly outside.

I have tested setting the alarm off manually and it seems completely pointless - it doesn't "alarm" anyone at all. May as well be a cat-2 immobiliser only /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If you are that bothered you can always get a Clifford fitted for about £300

The cat 1 from memory means that the alram siren has its own battery back up and the alarm housing is protected in a armoured (metal) case

thats probably why its quiet, Audi forgot to drill holes in the metal case /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

Even though the alarm is quiet I wouldn't describe it as pathetic. As mentioned above they are designed this way to meet regs etc. I also believe on a Cat1 that all the wires are black so its not easy for the thieving scroats to find out whats what.

The immobiliser is the bit that will stop it from being driven away (easily)...

All Cat 1 system must have a battery back-up to the siren.

The basic requirements for a Cat 1 are:

1. Alarm with full perimeter and volumetric detection with battery back-up for the siren.
2. Immobliser isolating a minimum of 2 operating systems, passively armed.
3. Anti-scan, ant-grab restitance of key codes
4. Coded fuel valve

The alarm-set beep I get when I lock my doors is considerably louder than my alarm itself.

If the alarm was as loud as the beep,it would scare the bejesus out of n'er-do-wells !

To be honest, the inadequacy of the alarm does bother me a little. I probably wouldn't even care if my vehicle had not been broken into.

Its not normally something I would consider ever checking up on before deciding to purchase, but now I know better.

I could certainly go and get an after market solution fitted to my preference - but when buying a car for the best part of 30k, why should I even have to consider it?

And any car alarm that can sound and not be heard directly outside is, with due respect to other opinions, pathetic!

[ QUOTE ]
The alarm-set beep I get when I lock my doors is considerably louder than my alarm itself.

If the alarm was as loud as the beep,it would scare the bejesus out of n'er-do-wells !

[/ QUOTE ]

Is yours an after market one then or is a setting bleep one of those things that can be switched on or off by the dealer? I was never asked - mind you I didn't know about the auto lock doors being an option either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif not until I joined the forum anyway!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is yours an after market one then or is a setting bleep one of those things that can be switched on or off by the dealer? I was never asked - mind you I didn't know about the auto lock doors being an option either /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif not until I joined the forum anyway!

[/ QUOTE ]

Standard alarm.

I got the beep switched on when I got the autolock switched off.

I know the indicators flash when the car is locked,but I prefer the beep.

I can't see my car's indicators when my car is in the drive,so the beep saves me having to step outside the house to check it's locked.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif