Black and lots of toys V Metalic Black

Leetaylor

Reaction score
Hi all

Been offered a nice spec'd car, i.e Satnav, Xenons, leather/Heated Seats etc etc, however due to the expense of the toys the chap said he wasn't really bothered about met paint, the car is Black, do you think it makes a big difference?

Cheers

Lee /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/book.gif

No, may show up swirls etc a bit more but a it's hell of a lot easier to fix if you get a prang. If I could have got any colour it would have been flat red rather than a mettalic.

Black is black, metallic black is grey. The best choice of color is the non-metallic black. Pain to keep clean, but sure looks stunning.

And yes, it's a bit soft paint perhaps, but so is Audi paint anyway. Just keep it waxed well.

- Yak

My A4 was Audi's 'flat black' and it was extremely soft.

One only had to brush it and you had a new scratch to worry about.

Got a massive scratch down the wing from someone brushing their pushbike handlebar down it in a garage once.It wasn't even the bike's brake lever.It was just the rubber end of the handelbar grip.I know,I was sitting in the car when he did it !

The bloke was very apologetic,and paid for the damage,but neither of us could believe it scratched under those circumstances.

We didn't have a metallic black Audi to compare it with at the time,but we did have a metallic black Golf.It's paint was much tougher.

I've had three black cars recently, a flat black 911 C4, and two metallic black 993 C4's, the metallic blacks are more of a dark bronze when parked next to a "flat" black car, but the metallics are FAR easier to keep clean, the swirl marks on the flat black car used to drive me mad, it virtually needed polishing every time it was washed.

I disagree - my Pearl Black is just that Black. There are one or two black cars in our carpark, scoobys, Hondas and mine is as black as night. The paint does scratch easy and chip easy and after only 4500 miles on it, the bonnet has lots of little white marks, and I never drive up peoples ***** and give plenty of space. This weekend I spent several hours with Meguairs stage 1 through to 3 and the car looks freaking amazing. Really, really looks good, but it will only last a few days. I like washing the car (sad I know) I find it relaxing and i can de-tune from the preassure s and cleaning a black car every week is far more of a pain in the *** then any other car I have owned and cleaned every week, but boy does it looks good.

Next car for me Red I think...

Flat black just looks cheap compared to metallic black. I actually wanted flat black when I bought my 2.8Q as you get the real deep black colour, whereas the metallic black I ended up with is, as Yak says, very dark grey. But if you park side by side with the same car in both colours the metallic black just looks a lot more refined and expensive (if that makes sense) and it doesn't need constant polishing to look good.

[ QUOTE ]
Next car for me Red I think...

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliant Red for me and always looks clean even with a layer of motorway dirt. Looks even better when polished too.

Thanks for the input guys,

Well it looks like i may have done the deal on the car, so stuck with the flat black now, need to get me a new polishing kit i think!!!!

Two mates have the flat black, they say they have had no probs with it, mind you they haven't had met before!

Cheers

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/MexWave.gif