Cruise Control retrofit

dickys3

Staff member
Reaction score
Anyone had this retrofitted?

I know it was fairly straight forward on the 8L but I believe its an extra stalk on the 8P. What about the wiring, its it all there or do I need to get a mini loom also?

cheers
Rich.

from memory....

you need the new stalk, new housing for the steering column, new mini loom and then Vagcom to program it.

Someone here has done it if they decide to own up...

One addition to the above thread. If you need to buy a new electronics unit, make sure that you buy one that is compatible with your steering wheel slip ring. I spent quite a few hours trying to figure out why my new module didn't work properly, until it was found that it wasn't compatible..

As far as I know, there are two different slip rings:
1K0 959 653 A
1K0 959 653 D

If your steering wheel module (use vag-com to check) is 1K0 959 549 E or F, then you have the D slip ring. If the module is 1K0 959 549 or 1K0 959 549 A, then you have the A slip ring.

The correct replacement modules with cruise functionality are:

8P0 953 549 A (compatible with slip ring 1K0 959 653 A)
8P0 953 549 C, D or F (compatible with slip ring 1K0 959 653 D)

Hope this helps.

yep; I have already enquired with cookie as it will come out as an official accessory soon (with the ipod adapter etc)..
Get Rich to give you a nod, and I am up for a retrofit on the a4 also...

[ QUOTE ]
yep; I have already enquired with cookie as it will come out as an official accessory soon (with the ipod adapter etc)..
Get Rich to give you a nod, and I am up for a retrofit on the a4 also...

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool - I'll get on to it!

I found this from last sept 05.. sounds ALOT like a dension to me...

21 September 2005
AUDI INTEGRATES WITH iPOD IN THE 2006 A3

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. – Audi of America, Inc. today announced the iPod Interface Wiring Harness that directly links the AppleÒ iPodÒ, the world’s largest selling digital music player, with the 2006 Audi A3 2.0 T and it’s 10-speaker Concert and Symphony audio system.

The harness is compatible with a majority of A3, TT, A4, allroad quattro models, and previous generation A6 and A8 sound systems. These models, without optional satellite radio (except A3) or navigation, can now directly connect to an iPod with the use of this new iPod interface adapter. iPod, iPod mini, and the newly announced iPod nano media players are compatible with the Audi models.

With the use of the new harness, up to five different play lists can be accessed and played from an iPod through the vehicle’s audio system. The wiring harness is connected to the radio through the glove compartment, keeping the iPod protected and out of sight. While the iPod is in use, it is being powered - and charged - through the adapter.

The iPod Interface Wiring Harness will be available at Audi dealers by the end of the year.

DICKYS3 just demo'd his Phatnoise to me .... very impressive, only problem I have I already have an Ipod and dension..

looks like two threads mixed up?

I meant that they are releasing some new official accessories such as an Audi branded IPOD adapter and cruise retrofit kit amongst others.
The Audi IPOD kikt looks exactly like the dension although I have not seen the cradle version however it does have the text on the ipod screen and the rings logo instead of the dension logo for those who have seen it.

to retrofit the cruise control all you need is new cowlings and the switch and a bit of wire to run from the back of the steering ecu to the electrics plenum box, the wire is already there going to the ecu, slip ring is nothing to do with cruise so no need to change it, all you need to do is activate cruise in the engine ecu and steering column ecu, done about 4 now, really easy to do if you have a bit of technical know how!

Hi Foolish3..
Can you confirm that multifunction steering wheel has the Sw/capability for cruise without the need of the steering column ecu?.. I have heard this is the case...

im sure that is the case, but have not looked into it before! most things can just be recoded to make them work nowadays, except convienience system.

Hi Foolish3uk,
Think you're getting mixed up with B5. No wiring is required to retrofit CC to a B6. Steering wheel ecu is only required if no multi function wheel is fitted.
Hope this helps

I will have the OEM A3 Audi retrofit kits within the next week. I got the first batch of A4 ones only yesterday...

cruise%20001.jpg

The use of the Steering ECU depends on what options are on the car (DIS, Multi function wheel etc) 90% of all A4's we've done previously have needed this ECU (as well as the only A3 we've done).

RRP for these kits (inc a new cowling, which isn't included in the kit as there are so many different colour/trim combinations) will be around £155.00

Thats obviously excluding discount that I give to TSN/Audi-sport.net members /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif