Almost an 8P owner!

Am I right in thinking the posts saying I'd go for DSG over the Quattro are all from people that have not lived with a Quattro car for a long time? I've done over 50,000 miles in my S3 and the ability to get the power down in any (including sheet ice) situation is amasing my car also does not have traction control and doesn't need it!

I would also say I can feel the Quattro doing it's bit on a daily basis coming out of slow corners and finding grip on rubbish roads, add to that the fact I reckon it's saved me from having a crash a few times (as has the EBD) I can't think of a better option to go for on a new car.

And having a very new car butchered to look like a newer car makes no sense to me either - but what do I know.

DSG didnt really impress me that much when I test drove the 2.0TDI and 2.0TFSI DSG cars, it was nice but the flappy paddle thing would be just a gimick for me.

I feel I have more driver involvement with the six speed box and the grip levels with quattro are just amazing. I also have a T4 Volvo thats FWD 200bhp, thats a great car and lots of fun but just cant get the power down properly in second and third on the corners(especially if they are damp). The Audi doesnt even flinch on the same corners just launches out of them, I would deffinately have Quattro over DSG if I was buying again.

[ QUOTE ]
Am I right in thinking the posts saying I'd go for DSG over the Quattro are all from people that have not lived with a Quattro car for a long time? I've done over 50,000 miles in my S3 and the ability to get the power down in any (including sheet ice) situation is amasing my car also does not have traction control and doesn't need it!

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose DSG over quattro and my previous car was an R32. I had that for 12 months and 20K miles. So to answer your question yes I have had it.

J.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I chose DSG over quattro and my previous car was an R32. I had that for 12 months and 20K miles. So to answer your question yes I have had it.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is VW's 4-motion the same as Audi's quattro ?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new R32 shares Generation 2 haldex with the 8P quattro. The old R32 shares generation 1 haldex with the old Quattro/S3.

[ QUOTE ]

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you not find it a pain pulling out of junctions in traffic? or does the traction control just flash away or does dsg stop you breaking traction as you aren’t controlling the launch the computer is?

I have to try hard to spin the wheels on mine and when I do the TC takes care of it.

The TC on the 8P is sooooooooooooooo much better than the binary switch that was the TC in the 8L and Mkiv golfs.

Test drive is the only way fella.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The new R32 shares Generation 2 haldex with the 8P quattro. The old R32 shares generation 1 haldex with the old Quattro/S3.

[/ QUOTE ]

Something else I didn't know then !

For some reason,I thought VW's 4-motion was electronic 4wd and Audi's was more straightforward and 'mechanical' in it's operation.

[ QUOTE ]
For some reason,I thought VW's 4-motion was electronic 4wd and Audi's was more straightforward and 'mechanical' in it's operation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope they are pretty much the same for the same generation of cars, however I think it is upto the car's designer how much of the Haldex system they implement as it can call on more information from more sensors than some cars use.

[ QUOTE ]

So do you not find it a pain pulling out of junctions in traffic? or does the traction control just flash away or does dsg stop you breaking traction as you aren’t controlling the launch the computer is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really as Eeef says the TC on the later cars is really a whole world better than the previous iterations. It allows enough slip to stop the car from bogging down without lighting up the tyres.

J.

if it helps here's my very recent experience, new member but as I've
just been through same dilemma. thought it might be a help

54 sport quattro 3.2 10k miles 3dr or S-line 2.0t quattro sportback with DSG 25k miles same price, different array of extras on each.

I also had the same new style/old style front end issues.

I didnt like the crashy ride on the Sline, I wanted the Sline's bigger wheels but the ride of the 3.2 on 17s was so much better and I live in the south of England not Europe so I was sold.

The DSG was fun, I liked the jekll and hyde auto option of partial, full or combo of both, and could see the benefits.

but for me I have bitter memories of a SMG BMW 330i, when all the acronyms tried to kill me in one go,

pulling out onto an off-camber wet A road, the SMG wouldnt change down with the car at an angle (thinks its cornering) wet so DSC+T wouldn't apply any power, and the gear change had learnt from three months of playing that I wanted the most severe gearchange programme, when I realised the distant tipper had got really big and's not stopping for me to sort it out, with a car in 5th at 30 waiting to level out to kick down to first, 230bhp in the wet through the rears... oh yes love I wanted 7000rpm and to power slide the car 50 yards with a tipper truck in the boot.

dont know if DSG is the same but I grew to hate that gearbox and the poor car it was attached to. wont risk it again even after a good test drive. I want to be the driver rather than a passenger.

I went for the 3.2 Quattro manual non-single frame grille and 3 weeks in love it to bits and prefer the older grille on a 3dr....

only negative is the phone kit as I need to downgrade my phone to use it.

but thats the joy of options, something for everyone, who wants the same car as everyone else.

[ QUOTE ]
the flappy paddle thing would be just a gimick for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He he. It's all horse for courses, isn't it? I love the flappy paddles and never use the stick. The vast majority of my driving is in full auto. At roundabouts and some junctions I use Sport mode and floor it then dump it back to "D" once I'm moving.

When I don't have the wife/kids in the car and try to remember how driving could be fun I use the flappy paddles to drop a gear or two and just rely on DSG to stop me from doing anything really dumb like stalling the car when slowing down.

I also find DSG fantastic on the UK motorways, in fact I specifially went for the A3 rather than the 2.0TDI A6 (same list price as my A3 with the options on) because of the hastle I'd been having with my weekly trips from Leeds to Slough/Winchester.

The only downside I find with DSG is that I can't ever envisage going back to a manual gearbox which is really going to limit my options for my next car.