turbo advice

Red s line

Reaction score
its come to that time were my turbo has the infamous police siren/whistle

so im goin to get my self a new turbo i have a audi a3 sline 56 plate 2.0tdi 140 wiith a stage 1 re map

what would be the safest turbo but with best performance ?

many thanks dave

If you don't want to map it again then I would say a standard turbo will be fine.

Though a 170TDi turbo would be a slight upgrade over your standard 140 turbo it may need mapping to fully release it's potential.

What's mileage of your turbo?

i had it reconditioned at 65k im now 0n 77k it made the police siren/whistle from day 1 of the recon but wasnt as loud as it is now i also have large amounts of black smoke when i put my foot down i know a remap will increase the black smoke from a diesal but i personally think its smoking abit to much

If you don't want to map it again then I would say a standard turbo will be fine.

Though a 170TDi turbo would be a slight upgrade over your standard 140 turbo it may need mapping to fully release it's potential.

im thinking of getting a hybrid turbo but im not to clued up on what model il need ? il be getting what ever turbo i end up with a remap

12k from a turbo? That's nowhere near enough.

Black smoke is usually over fueling, so either a generic remap which raises the fueling too high, or a turbo not providing the required amount of air to match the fuel.

How loud is the "police siren/whistle" noise? Some go on for years like this with no problem, some go pop very quickly. Generally it gets a lot worse/louder in a short amount of time if the turbo is knackered.

12k from a turbo? That's nowhere near enough.

Black smoke is usually over fueling, so either a generic remap which raises the fueling too high, or a turbo not providing the required amount of air to match the fuel.

How loud is the "police siren/whistle" noise? Some go on for years like this with no problem, some go pop very quickly. Generally it gets a lot worse/louder in a short amount of time if the turbo is knackered.

I have a generic remap which is probably why I Have lots of black smoke the siren/whistle noise is fairly loud I can here it with radio on it gets a lot louder when engine breaking People look at me expecting the police to be there it's that loud !im going see we're I stand with main dealer but as they have already reckoned my turbo I don't think they will do it again

Took the car to main dealer the mechanic could here the faulty turbo as I pulled round to the workshop so it's booked in for a new turbo today thank fully I'm still under warranty My advice to anyone with this dreaded police siren/whistle is to get it checked over your turbo will be on it's way out and it time for a new one or a reconed one

Where did u get your turbo reconditioned at?
12k is unacceptable for a turbo.

Where did u get your turbo reconditioned at?
12k is unacceptable for a turbo.

My dealer is Stebbings car super store. They sent it to Essex turbos to be reconditioned I presume it will be goin to the same place again :/

Reactions: RobbieWebs
Sorry bud I hadn't read your last post right
At least it's getting done on warranty