Rain sensor wipers

steve184

Reaction score
Anyone know how these work?? Where the sensor is etc?? Mine don't work anymore - last time in at audi they replaced the motor and had to re-code the car or soemthing???? Now i can be driving when its dry and it can suddenly start pelting it down and they dont come on i have to switch them on manually. My car was first build week of 2005 MY (May 04). I reckon the dealer hasbn't realised this and coded it as a 2004 MY car - assuming this is possible???

Sensor is on the glass infront of the rear view mirror - no problems with mine touch wood

Good question though - how does the sensor detect the rain and how does it moderate the wiper speed? Ours works fine also, although occasionally it seems to get a little confused.

yes the reason why i asked is that i remember ages ago when cleaning my car I had the engine running with the auto wipers on and sprayed the window with a hose pipe and it didn't work - yet it worked when it rained! How can it tell the difference????? How does the sensor work through the windscreen? Is it sound, light or moisture activated??

hex/smoke/mirrors/voodoo/

I'm not a betting man but I reackon one of the above

When I had my Vauxhall Vomit the sales brochure explained how they work - but I can't remember!

I think I'm right in saying that the sensor sends out a beam, possibly infra-red. In turn it expects so much to be reflected back by the glass. If rain settles on the glass the reflected beam becomes defracted and triggers the wipe.

It was something like that anyway.....

I'm sure some clever ****** will correct me if I'm wrong!

Last week i left the engine running as i jetwashed the car and got soaked as the auto wipers came on as i was standing next to the drivers door.

So mine just knows water.

These cars are alive, i swear

Always makes me laugh at the Turnpike toll booths in Florida. The signs tell you to turn off your wipers so that the lass taking the money doesn't get soaked!

yes your right it will be very remote that anyone will sign it. however, if they don't then they are refusing to repair the car as without a signature on that form they aint gettin the car to repair. we will see what happens going to see the guy tomorrow.

steve