S3 1-2 second rattle on cold start up

sarah1989

Reaction score
My s3 has developed a rattle on start up from cold, last about 1-2 seconds, then won't do it for rest of the day until it's been left for a long time, what could it be?

Thanks

My s3 has developed a rattle on start up from cold, last about 1-2 seconds, then won't do it for rest of the day until it's been left for a long time, what could it be?

Thanks

What sort of mileage?

Maybe hydraulic lifters are a bit tired.

These engines do sound a bit rattly anyway as you'll know but that's one possible if the mileage is high.

It has done 94k, full history, engine sounds like any other one does on idle, just weird noise on start up, worried incase it's the timing chain

It has done 94k, full history, engine sounds like any other one does on idle, just weird noise on start up, worried incase it's the timing chain

Right sort of mileage for any of those unfortunately and impossible to easily say which it could be.

Do you have a good trustworthy independent nearby?

Have a few garages, but just the fact it only does it for 1-2 seconds on first start up from cold ;( is it something I could leave for the minute and listen out for it getting worse?

Has it had the oil changed recently?
Sometimes if the wrong grade of oils used it can cause it to rattle when cold.
Other than that I'd try an oil change with maybe an engine flush.

Have a few garages, but just the fact it only does it for 1-2 seconds on first start up from cold ;( is it something I could leave for the minute and listen out for it getting worse?

That's the thing made me think of a failing lifter.

It's generally the cam chain tensioner. They get a little lazy with age, so when cold it takes a couple of seconds for the oil pressure to be built up within the tensioner and take the slack out the chain.
The tensioners are relatively cheap and it takes around 1.5 hours to change.

Reactions: S3Alex
Does anyone have a guide for changing or inspecting the cam tensioner? I have had this cold start rattle twice since i bought the car, would really like to inspect it atleast to ensure all is sound.