Jack Slipped - Whats the damage?

newbieboyy

Reaction score
Hello, So i was going to give the car an oil change, had jacked up one side and put on an axle stand when i went and did the other side.

The trolley jack slipped and the sill disintegrated....

Does anyone know what the likely bill/fix is :-(

10505038 10152566194473633 3136113339726989314 o

Im gutted, but really want this car to be sorted, I'm going to need to get the bumper fixed as i had a shopping trolley smack into the back of it couple of weeks ago.

Sad times :-(

Ah ok, so does it just need some sealer placed on it to backfill whats been yanked?

Why are you using the sill to jack the car up? Not sure why people do this with trolley jacks unless they have a puck for the sill to slot in nicely. It most of the time manages to damage the sill in one way.

Invest in the stock oem jack pucks or a block of wood and then jack it on a solid piece of the floor or sub frame if your trolley jack is long enough.

Not much to repair though it does mainly look like the under seal is torn away.

Why are you using the sill to jack the car up? Not sure why people do this with trolley jacks unless they have a puck for the sill to slot in nicely. It most of the time manages to damage the sill in one way.

Invest in the stock oem jack pucks or a block of wood and then jack it on a solid piece of the floor or sub frame if your trolley jack is long enough.

Not much to repair though it does mainly look like the under seal is torn away.

The jack if fit for purpose, i misplaced it slightly and it didn't sit in the groove properly hence why it slipped.

Thats sod all to worry about mate sill looks perfect its just the under seal scraped upwards

Make good and re seal job done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I looked at the pads, but they are so expensive! (About £80+).

What are the recommendations for a suitable sealer - is the hammerite one ok or is there the actual Audi one available? Its the same colour (which from other posts seems to be the tick part).

Thanks

Same thing happened me, I trusted a mate to jack the car and he used the sill... A good bit of spray-on underseal will keep it protected. You don't see the dent unless you're walking up a hill with the car parked sideways lol. I've noticed a good few cars with matching dents actually

Last edited:
Going a bit off topic with all the suggestions not to jack on the sill but I've jacked up on the sill more times than I can remember and never had any problems or bending sills. As long as you have a decent jack with a big cup, you shouldn't have any problems. No need for the pads, blocks of wood etc, but once it's up, stick it on stands so all of the weight isn't on the jack and sill.

Get some schutz and brush it on, should cover it fine. Its quite thick so you can build up a few layers, Would probably paint it first with something like hammerite.

Can cut the old bit off to a nice edge using a sharp stanley blade.