Emission Light - Aux Water Pump

Rolly88

Reaction score
A couple of days ago the emissions control warning light came up on my dash and has stayed on ever since. Seeing as it was going in for a service and cambelt kit job today left it and asked if they could read the fault code. Apparently it came back as Aux water pump. They reset the warning and said give it a go and if it comes back then I could go back.

Well unsurprisingly it came back on on the way home. There doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference to performance so its a bit confusing. Has anyone got any clues as to what it may be? Guessing a sensor?

Seeing as I've just forked out for 2 new fronts yesterday and then the job above today not really in the mood to forking out anymore at the minute so if its something that can wait I will.

My car is a '59' 2.0 TDI CR 170 A3 SB

Thanks

You must be tdi are you?
Very common on 2009 on cars and is usually the auxiliary water pump which is situated underneath in front of the sump.
Held on with 2 pipes and 3 screws and 1 connector
From dealer is about £140 for the part I bought my last one from eBay from Germany genuine and brand new £90

The pump is used to circulate coolant after the engines turned off to help cooling.
Not ideal running too long with it not working.
You'd need the part number off the pump to order from eBay.

Is there an easy way to know for sure its that? I assume you mean £140 + labour?

If you find the code which caused the light to come on and Google it then it says something like auxiliary heater short circuit.
The £140 was plus labour which would be 1 hour.
Have a search on here as there was one exactly the same a few months ago

I'll check the paperwork and see if it's on there and if not will give the garage a call and see if they still have a record of it. Assume that's the only way to check exactly what it is?

****** expensive things! This is costing me a fortune and haven't even been able to think about any mods yet! This only 6 months after a golf that I'd had for 4 years suffering catastrophic engine failure with damage around £5k about the same value as the thing so that went!

You need the code and description to be 100% sure but from the description you give and the engine type and age I'm pretty certain its that.
Ask the garage to unplug the pump and confirm the codes the same. A 5 minute job for them.

Nice one thanks buddy! How easy a job is, bearing in mind I've done some simple ICE stuff before and minor bits of maintenance to my car? It doesn't sound too difficult but is it easier said than done? Also, getting under the car is going to be a pain I guess

I'm a mechanic so I'd say it's easy.
But the best way to answer that question is if you are able to service your own car or not.
If yes then I'd say yes no problem.
If not then I'd say no.

Nope never serviced it so I guess that answers that question. Garage it is then

I'd still consider getting the part number and sourcing the part yourself and save at least £50

Will see what local indy charges but now I know how much I can get it for got a benchmark to go off. If no good will definitely be sourcing myself. Appreciate all your help. Is there some thanks button on here?

Make sure you only fit a genuine part though.
Then its fit and forget.
No thanks button just a like button.