Emissions Light (Already Scanned) A3 2.0T STronic

atownsend91

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I took the dip for a nice flashy A3... absolutly beautiful car coming from a VW golf and Polo before that. I'm glad I made the switch...

But...

just 30 days later and my emissions light flags up (great... pound signs down the drain!!)

So anyhow, I went on holiday and then came back to the UK praying maybe the fault magically fixed itself lol (if only...)

The codes i have are listed below...

[h=3]18619/P2187/008583 - Bank 1; System too Lean at Idle[/h][h=2]16891/P0507/001287 - Idle Control System RPM: Higher than Expected.[/h][h=2]18711/P2279/008825 - Leak in Air Intake System[/h][h=2]17501/P1093/004243 - Bank 1; Fuel Measuring System 2: Malfunction[/h]
I am not experiencing any power loss with the car, the only symptom i'm getting is the car is almost choking at idle after 30 minutes drive or so...

Revs are not bouncing up above 1k revs

Merely sitting at 800 revs maybe dropping to 500revs now and then...

When i'm driving or the engine is exerting itself there is no issues...

I've checked for any leaks or hissing sounds with the car but couldnt hear anything to be fair so i'm thinking where is the next best place to look for the problem...?

My car is covered by a 3 month consumer protect warranty, but i just want to make sure that they are doing their job correctly (bad experiences with previous garages)

PCV, always the ******* PCV with erratic idle. Though can't remember if I had emissions light. With the car idling, try and remove the oil cap, if it's sucked on and when removed the engine seems like it will stall (iirc) then it's probably the PCV. £25 and 10 minutes to change, easy peasy.

Brilliant, well i've tried testing if i can remove the oil cap whilst running normal temperatures... correct in your assumptions...

Couldnt actually remove the cap whilst the car is on, but with some hard pulling on the cap and twisting i managed to get a suction noise from it...

from what i'm reading i'm seeing lots of people mentioning that its been revisioned numerous times... i'll try get the engine cover off this weekened to see exactly what part number it is and then contact audi directly... tbh i do have consumer protect warranty but i cant be ***** dealing with the hassle for a 25 pound part !! being without a car n all !

Thanks for the advise all, will let you know how i get on :)

Having spoken to Audi on this... they have checked the fault codes and said the car doesnt have a PCV "as such" but a pressure relief valve which would produce the same symptoms, none the less they have given me a price quoted below:

"The valve is £38.69 and requires ordering in and the part number is 06F129101R and the gasket is £20.14"

Does anyone recognise this part number? is it called something different maybe?

Worth the leap for the 50 pounds?

Update:

So I've got a price from Audi directly on the replacement parts

Valve is 38.69 and gasket is 20.14 part number 06F129101R .

How easy would it be to fit this to my car myself... is this something that would be best fitted by audi... they have given me the below quote..

Valve £38.69
Gasket £20.14
Diagnostic £60.00
Fitting £60.00

Total £178.83

They said they'll need to scan it to make sure they are replacing the correct part...

But i'm thinking if they can just get the part purchased and sent to myself, maybe i could fit this myself... I have only basic technical know how so wouldnt know where to start... but does anyone know of any guides or help articles they could link to me ?

Thank you in advance... :)

Update:

So I've got a price from Audi directly on the replacement parts

Valve is 38.69 and gasket is 20.14 part number 06F129101R .

How easy would it be to fit this to my car myself... is this something that would be best fitted by audi... they have given me the below quote..

Valve £38.69
Gasket £20.14
Diagnostic £60.00
Fitting £60.00

Total £178.83

They said they'll need to scan it to make sure they are replacing the correct part...

But i'm thinking if they can just get the part purchased and sent to myself, maybe i could fit this myself... I have only basic technical know how so wouldnt know where to start... but does anyone know of any guides or help articles they could link to me ?

Thank you in advance... :)

It's dead simple to do yourself. Engine box off, a few torx screws, unclip hoses, pop a bit of fresh engine oil on the new gasket, fit new valve. You can't go wrong really.

Airbox removal, unclip from the back left and yank it off. Here's a pic of the PCV underneath on top of the engine.

Pcv

It's dead simple to do yourself. Engine box off, a few torx screws, unclip hoses, pop a bit of fresh engine oil on the new gasket, fit new valve. You can't go wrong really.

Airbox removal, unclip from the back left and yank it off. Here's a pic of the PCV underneath on top of the engine.

View attachment 37393

Cheers Pal,

its sounding like a weekend jobby... by engine oil can I use my standard oil i top the car up with? and how much am i looking to put on the gasket ? just enough to coat the gasket?

Oops, just saw the pic lol

what tools will i need to remove the engine cover?

No tools required for engine cover, just unclip the back left side intake and yank it off. It is sat on mad rubber sucker things.
Oil the gasket so it is covered but not dripping. Glazed I suppose.

No tools required for engine cover, just unclip the back left side intake and yank it off. It is sat on mad rubber sucker things.
Oil the gasket so it is covered but not dripping. Glazed I suppose.

Thanks for the help pal :)

Maybe i'll see if i can get pics up and possible how to ... : ) courtesy of your advice of course !! :)

Update, so I picked up my part from audi, turns out the mechanic said it's not a valve I require but this pipe will do the job,

Part number is 06B 133 739 G

Which is not a valve or a gasket but a pipe... He also didn't charge me for the item, but I think that was a mistake...

Anyways I'll see if I can get a picture up of the pipe, unsure how this is supposed to fix my car lol

But I don't mind getting me a freebie now and then !!

Woo! Great news , looks like my problem is fixed, of what would have charged me 178 pounds to fix with audi directly, I've done myself!

Does anyone else have a loose engine cover? Mine just doesn't seem like it's fully secured, gave it a good bang but still nothing :(

I know something's holding it together though as it doesn't come loose unless I give a firm tug...