A3 randomly turning over slowly?

Mattinho

Reaction score
My A3 1.9tdi SE (56) runs fine but every now and then, mainly after I stop for a few minutes, fails to start. It will turn slowly but if I leave it for a minute it's fine and starts up. It's not the glow plugs as this is happening in all weathers and have recently been replaced.

Could it be a fault with the battery?

Mattinho, with these characteristics, it would seem good to have your battery load-checked, and the terminals plus the ground point cleaned of all corrosion. The fault could also reside with the starter motor. I believe these diesels need a good kick-over, or the fueling will not be correct, hence difficulty in starting. Anyway, the battery and connections are easy to check. Try that first. Good luck.

Dunno if it might be the hot start issue I've read a few posts about like this one:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=

If not then as above i'd check your battery if it has been on there a while then if it's not that I'd suspect maybe the starter motor. I'm thinking it's got to be an electronic problem though as you say it's fine after being left a while.

Yeah it's not every time and seem to be completely random. The only thing I have noticed is that it does it shortly after a drive and small break (5 mins tops).