Gear Knob Update from Aluminium DSG Surround to Leather Gaitor Surround

mitalm

Audi A3
Reaction score
Thought I'd do a write-up as a while back I wondered how easy it would be to remove the aluminium surround and replace it with the leather gaiter, it also happened that the updated gear knobs were slightly nicer too. Anyways I managed to find an entire DSG gear linkage for £40 on eBay with the gear knob and trim being the bits I was after. So if anyone needs a DSG linkage I have one up for grabs! Couldn't find a specific thread on this so here's my experience.

Started with this, just looked a bit old for my liking:

Next was to remove the surrounding piano black trim, very easy if you have the ashtray as you simply open it up and pull the trim. However if you have the non-smoking pack then you will need a thin and strong tool to pry up the trim, the clips aren't strong so a large amount of force is not necessary. This leave you with just the aluminium DSG surround and the gear knob still in place:

Next you need to remove the gear knob, this requires prying off the small silver cover on the bottom of the gearstick which should reveal the plastic clamp on the base of the gear knob. Then you just need to pull the button out (retain it with a cable tie or something) and then pull hard on the knob. Be careful not to nut yourself in the face as I did... :/ You're then left with this:

Now we need to unclip the aluminium surround, this is simply four clips at each corner. Be careful as you lift it off as the lighting connector will give some resistance, it's on the right side, shown below, so just pull up carefully.

Next is to remove the plastic shutter part, this is held in by clips at each corner and very easy to remove. Disconnect the lighting connector and now we're ready to put the new trim on.

It is much easier to install the leather gaiter trim compared to the aluminium surround, it only requires the lighting connector and then pushing down into place.

The gear stick install is also relatively easy and is more or less the reverse of the gear knob removal. Make sure you push the knob down hard and then use a thick cable tie pulled very tight to secure the plastic clamp at the base of the gear knob. Then release the button and give it a wiggle to ensure it slots into the selector stalk.

Then finally you just need to clip in the gaiter frame and you're left with a much more updated gear knob and surrounding trim.

Reactions: davestokes and jaye2992
Cheers guys! Much better looking am I right? Yeah the parts are a pain to find, I kept an eye on eBay for a while and also considered hitting up my local scrappy as the parts are pretty easy to remove. Good luck!

I know this thread is old but: I did this today after sourcing the parts on eBay and it came out great. Thanks mate for the how-to!