Dash cam

RustyBucket

Reaction score
I'm adding a dash cam to my 2007 S3 http://www.amazon.co.uk/E-PRANCE-Or...&qid=1404328324&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+dash+cam and want to hard wire it to the power. I've got the rain and light pack so I can see that there is a wire that comes from behind the roof lining and into the body of the rear view mirror which seems to be a switched live as the green light for the auto dimming mirror comes on when I turn the key.

My question is, is it safe to wire the cam to this feed as having had quick look it seems to be a bit of a pig to remove the headlining to run the cable across to the pillar and down behind that to try and pick up another feed below the dash somewhere. Is this difficult to do?

Any thought or suggestions greatly appreciated before I attempt something with potentially costly implications :readit:

Cheers

Depends on the camera load, personally I use separate feeds for extra modules, to save the possibility of shutting down multiple shared fuse systems.

Yes and no, the base for the camera will remain but you can easily slide the cam out if you want to remove it. The cam takes the power from the base.

It terms of running wires behind the headlining, how difficult is this to do?

Cheers

Excellent and thanks for the link. I've found this http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-forum-8l-chassis/220936-dash-cam.html and this this Advanced Dashcam Installation Guide | Instructions to Install, Hardwire a Dash Cam | The Dashcam Store which give good advice on using a separate power feed and as I understand it the A pillar cover should POP off so what I need to find out, is how to tuck the power lead away behind the roof lining between the camera and the A pillar. How do I pull it back enough to create a gap to tuck the wire into?

Cheers

It terms of running wires behind the headlining, how difficult is this to do?

No need to remove any trim, there is enough 'give' in the A pillar and roof to feed the cable, using fingers and the handle of a teaspoon. I piggy-backed an ignition controlled fuse and ran the cable to the left of the mirror, so there is only 3" of wire visible alongside the mirror stem. My dash-cam is a Mobius and takes brilliant pics. It's behind the mirror and virtually invisible.
Drop the interior light to do the last bit, the mini usb plug.

The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#8 mandatory reading!) - RC Groups

OK, thanks for that, I'll dig a teaspoon out and go and have a look. Camera should arrive on Saturday so want to make sure I can get stuck in straight away.

No need to remove any trim, there is enough 'give' in the A pillar and roof to feed the cable, using fingers and the handle of a teaspoon. I piggy-backed an ignition controlled fuse and ran the cable to the left of the mirror, so there is only 3" of wire visible alongside the mirror stem. My dash-cam is a Mobius and takes brilliant pics. It's behind the mirror and virtually invisible.
Drop the interior light to do the last bit, the mini usb plug.

The Mobius ActionCam Support Thread (Posts #1-#8 mandatory reading!) - RC Groups

Had a quick look at that's absolutely spot on, with just enough wiggle room to hide the cable away nicely.

The camera you initially linked is p retty AMAZING.

I have the same one, and its soo soo small, soo soo cheap, and brilliant quality. mine was like £50 delivered from the bay.

I installed it using one of these 12v Motorcycle Car Boat Auto Universal Cigarette Cigaret Lighter Socket Adaptor | eBay

and just took an extra wire into one of the existing fuses under drivers dash, which come on when ignition is turned on. and it was really easy to just hide the wire up the A pillar and pushed into the top roof lining :D

Cheap = good.

Edit. also that second camera is real good, it was reviewed by that guy on youtube, but its big and ugly xD

The camera you initially linked is p retty AMAZING.

I have the same one, and its soo soo small, soo soo cheap, and brilliant quality. mine was like £50 delivered from the bay.

I installed it using one of these 12v Motorcycle Car Boat Auto Universal Cigarette Cigaret Lighter Socket Adaptor | eBay

and just took an extra wire into one of the existing fuses under drivers dash, which come on when ignition is turned on. and it was really easy to just hide the wire up the A pillar and pushed into the top roof lining :D

Cheap = good.

Edit. also that second camera is real good, it was reviewed by that guy on youtube, but its big and ugly xD

Cool, which fuse did you go into, was it a 5 Amp fuse between 1-11 and then were did you ground it? Getting the wire in seems to have been the easy bit like you say, behind the A pillar and tucked behind the roof lining.

Cool, which fuse did you go into, was it a 5 Amp fuse between 1-11 and then were did you ground it? Getting the wire in seems to have been the easy bit like you say, behind the A pillar and tucked behind the roof lining.

Sorry for some reason the image is sideways. the right of the image is the BOTTOM of the fuse box. Ok but apparently if you click it its the right way up!

The red wire is the fuse i used the dash cam which is triggered by the ignition, not sure what it was used for but it was something non safety compromising.

The blue wire higher up is my iphone 5 charger, which is on all the time which is useful :)

But make sure you go into the bottom of the fuse (i think) so the fuse would actually work if a problem occured, if the other side there wont be any protection.

And inb4 'biggest bodge job ever, and that shouldnt be on an audi'

Excellent, thanks for the picture, that helps and particularly the advice about the right side of the fuse ;-).

The piggy back fuse holder also looks like a good idea, am going to order one of those.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how are you mounting your Mobius cameras? I was hoping to avoid using a suction bracket or sticky tape on the inside of the windscreen, but it doesn't seem there's any way to mount the camera (and keep it level) on the rear view mirror or its bracket?