BKD Head Problem

olly8p

Reaction score
Hi, I don't know wether or not I have posted this into the correct place on the forum but here goes. I have got a 2006 (56 plate) Audi A3 8P 2.0 TDi BKD, the past few months I have been filling the coolant up every couple of weeks, but in the last couple of weeks I have had to fill the coolant up everyday, there is also white smoke emitted from the exhaust from cold until the car reaches running temperature and when undoing the expansion tank cap there seems to be a hell of a lot of pressure realised. When I started to notice the coolant loss I did a lot of research on the cracked head matter, I got told it could also be the EGR cooler so I removed the EGR cooler and EGR Valve using Darkside Developments EGR Valve and Cooler Removal Kit to make sure it wasn't that and it turned out it wasn't that. So I have brought a brand new cylinder head and all the cam shells, cam belt etc etc and plan to change it in the next couple of days. I also have read that there are three heads available for the BKD 03G103308 A, 03G103308 B and 03G103308 C. On my car it has the 03G103308 C head fitted to it but I haven't read anywhere of this head cracking, I have read that it is mainly the 'A' suffix cylinder heads and some of the 'B'. Has anybody heard of the 'C' suffixed cylinder heads cracking? What do you Reckon?

I remember that a few months ago there was an ASN member with a cracked C head. So they do crack but not that often as A or B heads.
Since you'll change the cam belt and pulleys, change the water pump too.
I have a B head on my engine and I thought it cracked when I started loosing coolant but it turned out to be the water pump.

Yeahh I have already got all the water pump and that, just waiting for the timing pins from Snap-On. Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with a cracked C head :)