Windscreen cracked

oldlaw

Reaction score
seems my windscreen has cracked about an inch up from the bottom and about 9 inches in from the drivers side. No chips or stone damage just seemed to crack of it's own accord. Phoned insurance and they say they cannot replace it till Tuesday. Anybody had any similar problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cry.gif

It actually looks like a pressure crack if you know what I mean. Wanted to know if it was a design fault or just a bad piece of glass?

dont use autoglass! the useless bunch of :EDITED:. if you do, make sure you take plenty of pictures of the current windscreen's fitting, including mirror position etc.

Now you got me worried. Insurers only use autoglass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

why use autoglass? I'd get it warranty repaired...

bonded windscreens are prone to pressure cracking, and they're more likely to go the newer the car is.

If you can get the dealer to replace it under warranty all they will do is call out a windscreen replacement service, probably Autoglass !

[ QUOTE ]
If you can get the dealer to replace it under warranty all they will do is call out a windscreen replacement service, probably Autoglass !

[/ QUOTE ]

but audi will give them audi glass to use.

outlaw, basically ive had the screen in my B5 A4 replaced by autoglass (through my insurance company) and 4 screens, and 4 weeks later, im still not happy. but this bis because the boss for the auto-dimming rear view mirror isnt positioned cirrect so theres a gap between the mirror's couling and the roof lining, which should not be there (as far as im aware)

When ever I have has windscreen replaced on any of my previous Audis, usually by Autoglass as there was one just down the road from my office, the glass used has always been a genuine Audi part with the Audi symbol and part number on.

Spoke to a guy from autoglass this morning ,they have to order the windscreen from audi that's why it will take so long.

My experience of Auto glass in dirty handprints on the headlinig down the A pillar.
Made the spotty oik remove them but he was not impressed, I though we were going to end up with fisty cuffs, told his boss and he didn't give a monkey's either.

I have quite a large stone chip on the N/S of the windscreen. AutoGlass have "repaired" it by injecting some silicon in to it. However it is still there and I was thinking about getting the screen replaced. Though by the sounds of it I am probably better off putting up with the chip!!

I had to get the screen replaced in my A4,and had no probs at all with Autoglass (who did it at my work).

The only 'problem' was that the windscreen didn't have the wee 'Genuine Audi' rings on it,which may have alerted prospective buyers that it was a non-standard screen.

They asked if this was a problem but,as it was a lease car,I said no.

I could have got genuine Audi if I'd wanted to wait.

OK guys. Just back from autoglass. went their armed with my camera which had the images of the windscreen and surround on it. Ready to give the guy a rollicking if he left any marks on a pillar etc.
Well left their after an hour pleasantly surprised. No marks and seems to fit ok. As bowfer says the only thing is no audi rings on the glass. 1st class job. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

I had no problems with Autoglass when they replaced the windscreen on my old 206. They even came out to my work and fitted it in the carpark.

big crack in mine now,so ill be next,will let you know how mine comes out,its the first time ive ever had to have a windscreen fitted to my own car,so cant complain realy.

Crack has appeared on mine, 10inches up on passenger side and about 6 inches accross. No stone chip damage, just a crack. Not got time to get it sorted yet but when i do warranty sounds like the best bet. Will keep posted.

[ QUOTE ]
Crack has appeared on mine, 10inches up on passenger side and about 6 inches accross. No stone chip damage, just a crack. Not got time to get it sorted yet but when i do warranty sounds like the best bet. Will keep posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll be lucky.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you'll be lucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eeef is correct, there is a limited time on windscreens specified in the warranty booklet - think it is a matter of months from memory.

The stealer are going to take a look at it today, if it is a stress fracture then it is covered. Will let you know.

Yep, it is a stress fracture and they are ordering me a new one to be fitted on the warranty for next week. The car is six months old if that helps.

has it got the creaking too,as it must all be related some how?.

A few years back, two blokes from Autoglass replaced mine at home.
I had to tell them the chassis number did not line up with the window. It was way out by 40mm...
Good job I was there to point this obvious fault out!!!!

All comes down to the quality of the individual fitter...so never tar all with the same brush boyz.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shutup.gif

PS I know it was naughty, but also got the screen upgraded free, with the top sunshade banding... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
if it's a stress fracture, what are they doing to stop it happening again?

[/ QUOTE ]

stress fractures are caused because the new windscreens are bonded. Because of this there is no or extremely limited amount fo flex available for the glass to move.

Stress cracks usually happen very quickly after a windscreen is fitted, or after some serious hot/cold fluctuations in the weather like now.

Because of this, they can't prevent stress cracks, and it affects quite a few cars from new, and even replacement screens - all you can do is get them to replace them FOC.

All you can say is that if you have a bonded windscreen, and its lasted over 6 months, then it's not going to stress crack.

best speaking direct to Audi if there is no sign of a chip they should pick up the bill

Hi first post here, just picked up my 2.0 TDI sportline yesterday !

A couple of quick points on screens, until about 3 weeks ago I worked for the manufacturer (you obviously know who they are). The A3 is a massive contract for them as they supply the full set of glass which is pretty unusual in the industry, it's normally a mix for cost reasons. Didn't work on the technical side but found out enough about the processes and products to last me a life time.

The stress fracture is likely caused by one of a couple of things, bad fitting in the factory with resultant pressure on the panel and crack, out of spec windscreen (I know the people on the lines so this is a definite possibility I'm afraid) which causes pressure in the appeture, impact (not covered by any warranty) or large temp changes. The last I've only ever seen in Scandanavia where 6 or 7 inch cracks seem pretty common and the regs on them are far laxer than here despite the huge safety culture.

A manufacturing fault will normally appear due to delamination rather than pressure and appears as a milky white patch on the screen where the glass and the PVB interlayer have separated, this is very serious and should be replaced immediately for safety reasons! if it happens there will only be 1.5 - 2 mm of glass between you and the road, it will also probably break into shards as the interlayeri is no longer bonding the pieces together.

Most cracks are fine as far as impact resistance goes (unless they also cause delamination) so not a safety issue appart from visibility.

I was surprised to hear someone got an Audi branded part from Autoglass as that's normally illegal unless they bought it from a dealer which I've never seen them do....

There are in fact three types of part (they won't like me telling you this) OE (Original Equipment) which goes to manufacturer and is first quality (normally), OES (Spares) which go to the dealer network and AGR (After-market Glass Replacement) which goes to the likes of Autoglass through the company's wholesale network.

OE and OES are logo'd and normally the same but OES tends to include a fair number of OE parts that weren't quite right with light scratches etc that have been reworked and passed after re-inspection, AGR is either non logo or has the logo removed by laser (not always pssible with certain inks and etching chemicals) and produced to the same basic specs as OE but they allow a higher number of faults than OE (which are uber tight for VAG) but generally I'd be happiest getting it fitted at a dealer or insisting on OES glass bought from a dealer (OES is not available anywhere else) as it's much more likely to be first quality.

Even if I had to fit AGR I'd insist on the original maufacturer glass as a lot of third party glass especially from China is now on the market and is normally reverse engineered from cars themselves rather than produced in conjunction with VAG, I've seen some right horrors here!

If you are getting it replaced ask to find out what options are available as you could get glass that's ready to fit a rain sensor or has visible VIN plate etc if you don't already have it. A lot of different colours are also available (fancy blue or bronze rather than green?) and dozens of combinations of shade strips in various colours and depths (can't remember about max depth on this in UK tho') also you can get the thermal reflective glass, just make sure this is done by the interlayer rather than a coated windscreen (like Renault use) as the coating on the inside of the glass is Platinum based and blocks signals to GPS and mobiles etc.

hope this helps.

Reactions: SL11CKK
Nice one, very interesting.

So when you need a replacement you have no chance of getting OE, you'll get either OES or AGR depending on who does it?

OES are meant to be the same but the specs are a little bit looser. AGR can be the same they normally run all 3 at once to save on changeovers and changing the furnace settings etc they just don't apply the Audi/VW etc. logo for the AGR parts or take existing OE or OES if no AGR are available and burn out the logo. Then there was the incident with GM a couple of years ago but if I go into any details on that and they found out....

It's just that the manufacturers have the clout so get the best parts, the margins are increasingly tight so any parts that can be made good and sold for however much are pushed through the system wherever possible. The after market fitters don't really seem to care so long as the glass is cheap hence all the Chinese rubbish coming in now (some of the ones I've seen were absolute howlers!).

Just a little glass story that my friend at work encountered on his 3 month old A4 Avant. He went home from work one morning after a very cold and frosty night shift, parked his car in the path, went in the house and heard a loud bang, went outside and his rear screen had gone(probably a heat/cold thing?), rang his local dealer who basically said "tough" get in touch with Autoglass its a non warranty issue. Autoglass said 3 weeks delivery time as did Audi parts. He then spoke to a friend who organises fleets of lease cars for people who told him if Audi can't supply spare parts for a car under warranty within I think 3 days he is entitled to a hire car under law, there is also a "magic" word I was told,, which I think is " I would like you to "expedite" the part for me" , he went back to his local dealer and told him this who then managed to get a rear screen overnight............. Autoglass fitted it OK, BUT I was parked behind him at the traffic lights when he decided to wash/wipe the rear screen, all the water just poored down the tailgate, apparantly Autoglass lost some bits which took ages to get.......................

I have a scratch on my new R32 screen and wonder if having a screen replaced is a non issue or could there be problems afterward? Dealer is suggesting they source me an OE screen and the arrange for a windscreen company to fit it at their premises but I am concerned about leaks etc....

had mine done last week,no leaks as yet,but its never the same as oe fitment,

i took the wipers off before he came,then watched him do it,to make sure,tradesmen are always heavy handed,they always rush,and dont realy have any consideration for what they are working on.

Just had mine done at the stealer. They must have had an outside glass fitter come it to do it. The /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif left grubby hand prints up both sides of the car interior pillars and I forced the Audi gimp to wash them off. Still not 100% happy. I will see if it leaks next time it rains. The saga is not quite over yet...