Can't read file?!

S3 AEX

Reaction score
A friend of mine maps cars for a living (mobile) I had him sort out the map on our lasses Mk4 golf 130pd as the person who had it before had left the boost but whacked the torque up full. Not pleasant to drive at all.

As he was at mine he brought his new equipment which he uses to map newer cars to read the file on my S3 just so he could look at what was on the standard ECU. The problem is he could not get into the cars ECU it just kicked him out, we tried his new an old equipment twice but to no evail.

It just wouldn't read the cars files, could not get into it at all just constantly kicked out. Now I don't plan on him mapping my car or anyone else for that matter but find it strange we couldn't read the files on the car. An he'd never seen this before, anyone any idea why or what this could be?

I think the software he uses is CMD an Italian company.

Last edited:
im sure if you get a revo map, they lock your ecu so only revo can remap it in the future, you have to get it unlocked by revo if im right

As above, most tuners lock their maps so you can read them, so you will either need to flash it with a base 130 map or go back to the original tuner.

As far as I'm aware the car is standard or was when I bought it. The person I got it from says he never had it mapped an I haven't had it done.

My previous S3 was all mapped an that was certainly quicker than this one so I'm pretty sure this isn't running at 300+ bhp.

Think I may get it hooked up to vcds and check air flow rates and boost.

Would this give me an idea if it has? Could it have been put back to stock but still ECU be locked?

Also thinking he did mention ECU could have been tinkered with in the past by a tuner..

Last edited: