big vibrations

Taroni

Reaction score
right ive got a 04 3.2 dsg Quattro 59kgot it April , always had this problem but has got worse over time when turning right even just the slightest amount it starts to vibrate on what seems like the (passenger) left hand side wheel ,the more you turn right the worse it gets . straight line or left its mint .

its on new coilovers ,new topmounts and droplinks
there is no play side to side or top to bottom of the wheel
ive changed wheels front to back

I had the car up and running with no car weight or outwards force from cornering on the wheels the car does not vibrate turning right

drivers side drive shaft has about 5mm play hub to tran
passenger side drive shaft has no movement what so ever on it so im thinking this could be part of the problem and maybe the gearbox mount might be going.

Just wanted to get a second opinion and see if anyone else has had this problem

Might be the driveshaft now that you've mentioned it. If you change it, please PM me or leave a message here if it fixes the issue so I can do it as well.

Reactions: Taroni
I have the identical problem on my 2008 2.0 TDI with DSG however the vibration comes from the right drivers side (Mine is a right hand drive car). it only does it when turning right and when im doing more than 30km/ph on the turn. After allot of digging around it turned out to be a partially collapsed wheel bearing. So it was an easy fix . Try replacing the wheel bearing as mine was collapased. Funny thing is the bearing had no play what so ever when i tested it by grabbing the top and bottom of the wheel and shaking it to check for any play. Cheers :D

My mate had this issue on the 330d bmw e90 was CV joint drives fine now, its a possibility ...

Reactions: Rideen
TDI 140 has a good point it could be the CV joints. I had my CV joints refurbished and about 1 week after that this problem started. took it back to my mechanic and found that the wheel bearing had partially collapsed. Just my luck... lol :D

My mechanic told me it could be this part (sorry, I don't know how to translate it to English, here we call it "ankle")

http://www.njuskalo.hr/image-bigger...mokineticki-zglob-prodajem-slika-21583473.jpg

But even after changing this part, the noise remained the same.

I get this sound only when I am in gear and taking a right turn, when I am in neutral (I am using manual gearbox), it doesn't happen.

TDI 140 has a good point it could be the CV joints. I had my CV joints refurbished and about 1 week after that this problem started. took it back to my mechanic and found that the wheel bearing had partially collapsed. Just my luck... lol :D

CV joints, that's the word, thanks! :)

Well anyway, this isn't the problem with my car, as I said, mechanic replaced these and the problem is still here.

sounds more like a collapsed wheel bearing as we seem to have identical symptoms. Its funny how there is no play in the wheel when checking it but then you pull the bearing out and it looks completely stuffed.

sounds more like a collapsed wheel bearing as we seem to have identical symptoms. Its funny how there is no play in the wheel when checking it but then you pull the bearing out and it looks completely stuffed.

I will order a wheel bearing in tomorrow and try get it done between the services and brakes I got booked in and will update

very similar to mine . does it make any noise i a straight line .

looking on with interest.

Mine does make some little noise sometimes when going in a straight line, but only in 2nd gear as far as I've noticed. Very rarely though.

Right I managed to get the wheel bearing done today and made a little difference but the vibration is still there so not good . Im thinking maybe gearbox mount now as the drive shaft was only replaced about 18months ago and I had a look and feel of it today and it seems all fine

Last edited: