Unfixable faults/Replacement cars

steve184

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone on here mentioning they managed to get a new car out of audi after having a fualt which could not be repaired properly??

Anybody know where i can get details?

Or anyone have similar experiences - just im havin major probs with my car/audi as per another thread and have really come to the end of my teather - im appauled at the service.

Just wondered what the problem was - how serious, how many times you had to go back and fourth, what was done, etc etc.. most of all how you got it solved in the end.

Would really appreciate it because i am pretty bad position myself.

cheers

6 months and 1,000 miles of back and forth - a raft of faults - steering, suspension, Bose stereo, wind noise from sunroof, rattling from under the rear seat, exhaust manifold......

Faults appeared from 3 weeks old and there were numerous attempts to cure them, some successful, some not. Some were "characteristics" that the dealer could not sort out (Bose hiss for example). The dealer was very good and kept trying, but there was a limit as to what they could do given no official solution from Audi. I mentioned that I had had enough and wanted to replace the car. They took it up with Audi Customer Services, who went through the whole process to see what the problems were and the solutions. I don't know the details behind the financials, but I effectively "sold" my car back to the dealer, and Audi provided me with a new car. The cost to me was an agreed mileage allowance from my car plus any difference in the optional extras etc. They kept me in a car all the time I was waiting for my new one (nearly 5 months).

I kept a log of all calls, letters, emails etc as evidence which really helped and did go down the Sale of Goods Act etc initially but there was little protection here for me.

To be honest, despite the painful process at the time, I thought the service from both dealer and Audi UK was very good and I was pleased with the outcome. I am much happier in my new car.

I hope you get yours sorted out.

hmmmmm mine is a different situation than yours. (although i have that BOSE hiss but it doesn't bother me!)

My problem revolves round one fault - which i have had from new - wipers hitting the bonnet. Now it has been back and fourth to two different dealers and they still havent managed to fix them. Problem is my car is now 20 months old after all the attempts of repair (which i understand under the law i have to give them the chance to attempt) anyway final chapter is that it has just come out of garage again - still faulty, bonnet getting messed up by wipers AND they have damaged the car. This is the final straw for me. I now feel that the age of the car now goes against me from the point of view of replacement - although this is not my fault - dealers have dragged their feet with it.

Sounds to me though liek you had a hell of a bum car as opposed a reasonable car with only ONE main fault like mine - guess this isn't going to happen for me.

I was one of the people who checked their wipers for clearance (12mm min - probably more but it was getting dark). I am staggered that a simple solution can't be found. Either that or they are trying to mask a more serious problem underneath and are hoping you will go away.

I doubt very much whether you have any grounds for a replacement, but you are still entitled to have a car which performs as it should. Speak to one of the Customer Service Managers at Audi UK, not those who answer the phone initially. Ask for one who covers your area of the country (I think they are regional).Explain the problem in full. They do liaise with the dealers. Book your car in again, get a courtesy car and then don't return it until the problem is solved. That's how I started and the dealer was desperate to get its courtesy car back after 2 months which might have helped get things going!

But... surely i can't be expected to keep going back and back and back... at some point with anything in life you have to come to a conclusion. I feel i have been very fair and give them plenty of chances and i don't see why i should have to give them anymore. Have been in contqact with Audi CS - some customer services manager there who was very nice and helpful sounding, but has no power and has not done what i asked. I said to her last week. This is THE last chance. It is going in one more time. It MUST be fixed this time or there will be consequences. I also made her aware how untrusting of how dealers treat customers cars and she said she owuld keep a close eye on it. None of this has happened - its all just gone in one ear and out the other. It is unbelieveable.

So who actually replaced your car. Was it the dealer or Ausi UK CS? I've mentioned this and they say that they dont control that and that is a decesion only a dealer can make as apparently each and everyone technically is a seperate business. She said CS basically has no power of dealers at all.

I agree re going back again and again. You should not have to do this. The replacement was instigated by the dealer but Audi UK provided me with my new car, delivered through the dealer. I gave the spec to Audi UK, they ordered it and they told me how much to pay. The dealer simply took my old car from me and did the maths with Audi UK.

Did you end with exactly the same car? how much did it cost you? Probably acadmeic for me but just out of interest

It was my choice of car. Stayed with a 3.2, but went from 3dr to Sportback plus a few extra bits on top, less the sunroof as didn't want the Opensky option on the SB at over £1,000. Paid the difference in spec plus allowance for 6,000 miles I had done.

see mine only has 8600 on it now - very low really. And it is very high spec no less than 4 grands worth! so it aint just a bog standard car. How much did they charge you for the mileage? Sorry if you don't want to say i won't be offended - or email me scrowther@mac.com if you dont want it open knowledge.

oh no don't worry about it then don't want you to go to any trouble - i was just wondering off the top of your head.

cheers for your time anyway - glad it all worked out for you.

How about an independent report on your car ?

The AA/RAC will do one,for a fee.

Is it possible your car had accident damage before you got it ?

We've just found out one of our leased Lagunas must have had side damage prior to us taking delivery,and I saw a 0 miles Nissan X-trail in a bodyshop we use this week.

Talking to the paint sprayer,turns out the PDI guy forgot to shut the door as he was putting it up on the ramp,and the ramp's posts nearly took the door off !

Some poor soul is sitting waiting for that car,and a tenner says they won't be told !

I tell you though,it might be worth you e-mailing Auto Express' consumer watchdog.

consumered@autoexpress.co.uk

They LOVE stories like this,especially when 'premium' cars are involved.

OR,just tell Audi you're considring doing it,as the threat of bad press might be enough to tip the scales.

Girl here got her Fiesta replaced,just by showing the dealer Autoexpress had expressed (sic) and interest in her story.

(they replied saying "yes,we are interested,please supply all the details and we will arrange for a reporter to contact you" )

Seriously,the dealer papped themselves when they saw that e-mail and replaced her car FOC.

Quite simply though,the law is on your side as,regardless of age,any item you buy must be "fit for purpose".
Clearly,a car with a bonnet so far out of true that the wipers hit it,is not fit for purpose. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

Steve184 - another possible option is to talk to Audi CS and see if you can get them to arrange for the car inspected by an Audi Engineer if your prepared to take it to Milton Keynes or by the regional engineer at your dealers with you present.

A friend had a problem with a Audi some years ago and had it inspected by an Audi Engineer and he saw the problem and arranged for it to be sorted out.

Get in touch with your local trading standards, either by email or phone - you'll find them on google.

They are very good and will tell you your rights, what to expect, what to say and how to word it. I found emailing trading standards best as that way I could detail everything.

Alternatively Which? have a legal thing you can join online and you receive advice from a solicitor.