RNS-E. straight in plug and play?

Moffat

Reaction score
My S3 has the concert head unit, but I've always liked the RNS-E nav unit, primarily for the fact of putting music onto an SD card to save on the amount of CDs lying about, but also as it has NAV, and it looks good.
Looking on ebay, they're readily available, with the GPS antenna.
How much of a plug and play process is it to fit, or would it need coed to work? (i'm guessing VCDS?)
Would the antenna have to go in a specific place, like up in the head lining or something, or would just being left behind the dash work?
And would the phone option just start working, or is there a lot more to it that that?

Hi Moffat. I hope I can answer a few of your questions..If you already have a double din sized stereo in your car the nav unit will go straight in.You will need specific quad connector to plug the nav unit in.I,m afraid you will have to get the unit coded to work with your car.As for the antenna it could simply go behind your glove box and stick it on the underside of your dash.I done this conversion on a A4 a few years back it was not that hard(I,m a total novice with car electrics) .Good luck mate.

You'll also need to reposition pins in the quadlock . And if you had Bluetooth fone b4 with the concert then will be ok with rnse

RNSE looks the part and finishes off the centre console/ dash in my opinion.
Sd cards Deffo make it worth it.
As for the Nav, pretty naff in my opinion.
Needs coded with Vcds and wheel size etc for nav.
Antenna behind glove box or stick it above the RNSE, works fine there.
Bluetooth will have to be coded and if u have Bose this needs a few pins moved. :)

The nav is pretty good to be fair, it can be awkward putting addresses in but once there in memory it's very quick to recall them.

Are there better RNSE units than others? I've seen in posts, people asking if it's a unit with a media button, or a CD/TV button.
I do have BOSE. Is there a guide for the changing of pins in the connectors?
I have a friend with VCDS so coding one isn't an issue. I'm guessing you just need to use the radio code supplied, and put it into the system using the software?
And I think I read something about the aerial connector/adaptor needing changed?

Last edited:
Quadlock

Although some have left the pin disconnected to remove the Bose restrictions on bass & treble.

I've read about removing it for restriction purposes. Otherwise, it would need changed from pin 5 to pin 7?

Sorry for hijacking.. if I don't have bose but a concert head unit is it straight plug and play (except VCDS coding of course)...

You mention you need to get the unit coded to the car, why do you need to do this? I changed my single din concert II to a double din with an RNSE, didn't code it, am I missing something?

I have just fitted my RNS-E instead of the Concert III and i have bose, but i didn't move any pins and it seems to be working OK.

Sound quality is bang on, however i did notice that when playing capital radio the volume was increasing and decreasing, is this what happens when you don't move the pin?

Also i can't seem to get the RNS-E to find any satelites with the antenna that came with it. The pin fits correctly in the unit but doesn't fit the little cream 2 pin plug. I don't quite understand what I'm supposed to do with the antenna as i have 2 pins that were already there, plus the new antenna pin.

Finally, i have XCARLINK installed but i can't use it as i don't think the CD changer is enabled. Can i do this without VCDS?

Cheers!

Ok, Managed to get the antenna and XCARLINK to work, it was just a bad ground and the antenna wasn't plugged in properly.

I still have varying sound volumes and crackling and popping.

Ive moved the Bose pin from 3 to 7 now too, but looking above are you saying that if the quad lock is fitted as standard it needs to go from 5 to 7 and not 3 to 7? as i wonder if thats what is causing it?

OK, tried moving the the pins back and then moving 5-7, this seems to have cured the interference.

However it still has terrible volume increasing and decreasing issues. you can be listening to music flawlessly and then it will just drive the volume and bass up massively then back down to almost nothing before going back to normal.

It also makes an odd interference noise when the welcome light comes on and off before making a large pop when the RNS-E shuts off completely

Please help

Last edited:
still not managed to figure it out. could it be down to the fact i haven't yet coded it as I'm waiting for my VCDS to turn up.

just wouldn't have thought coding would have caused an issue like that?