Another steering issue...

Amchlolor

Reaction score
Got F1's fitted last week.
Been back three times to have the wheels balanced,and their machine is reading '0' all the time.
However,I'm still getting vibration and steering wheel shake from just before 70mph to over 80mph.

Any ideas ?

By the way,with regard to F1's.
Tons of grip,but I get horrible 'resonance' vibrating through the car on various surfaces now.
A real 'howling' sound.
Used to get this with the Continentals,on one particular type of surface,but the F1's do it on all sorts of surfaces.

Not a big deal,but something to bear in mind for sportback owners considering F1's.

Perhaps you've buckled a wheel? Have you hit any large pot holes?

And and the noice problem must be a sportback issue as I don't have seem to have a probolem but I only have them fitted on the front at the moment.

J.

Bowfer - did they wobble before you had new tyres?

hada set of F1's on a subaru and NEVER got them to balance, even with "on the car balancing" junked them in the end

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer - did they wobble before you had new tyres?

hada set of F1's on a subaru and NEVER got them to balance, even with "on the car balancing" junked them in the end

[/ QUOTE ]

No,no wobble at all with the previous Continentals.

The F1's are proving impossible to balance ( front only ).

Very strange... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

To be totally honest I have the same problem with my 3door with PZero's on. Had them fitted last week and when going over 70mph I get a wobbly steering wheel.

I put this down to possibly having a dodgy wheel bearing. Seems not!

I have F1's on the front and Contis on the back and have a similar problem. I also thought that it was a bearing.

Blimey,so many wobbly wheels !

I'm going to get a third party to try and balance the wheels,seeing as the tyre fitters themselves seem unable to.

Pain in the backside like,but the thought of another 12000 miles with out-of-balance wheels isn't very appealing.

Bowfer, can't remember the name, but the tyre fitting place across from Esso in Inverurie balance wheels on car.

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer, can't remember the name, but the tyre fitting place across from Esso in Inverurie balance wheels on car.

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be my next move,so cheers for that Japper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I can always reclaim the expense.

Don't suppose you know the cost involved ?

Not overly familiar with Inverurie's layout either,so any pointers ???

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be my next move,so cheers for that Japper. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I can always reclaim the expense.

Don't suppose you know the cost involved ?

Not overly familiar with Inverurie's layout either,so any pointers ???

[/ QUOTE ]

Tawse Tyres
104, North St, Inverurie, Aberdeenshire AB51 4QX
Tel: 01467 621460

Yell.com will give you the map, but I don't know price involved as I have never had it done, just know these guys do it and have a good reputation.

Oh aye,heard of them,ta.

I'll just have to put up with their inevitable comments about John McInnes tyres....

[ QUOTE ]
Oh aye,heard of them,ta.

I'll just have to put up with their inevitable comments about John McInnes tyres....

[/ QUOTE ]

Used to use John McInnes for tyres years ago and never had a problem, great guy infact.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Oh aye,heard of them,ta.

[/ QUOTE ]

Used to use John McInnes for tyres years ago and never had a problem, great guy infact.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,but he 'bought the farm'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

It's his two daughters that own and run it now (one of them has an Akoya S-line sportback 2.0T)

Not overly impressed,seeing as they recommended fitting the wrong load tyres,then cannot seem to balance the wheels when they eventually fit the right ones...

Bowfer - I had this problem on my last car. It was a new type Vauxhall Vectra. It had Bridgestones on it from new but I had to have Dunlops put on it at change time because it was on a maintenance package.

To cut a long story short, and after much balancing (on & off the car) they didn't 'suit' the car.

I refused to drive it in the end and the maintenance people were forced to put a new set of Bridgestones on.

After all the fannying around it cost them more than they were trying to save in the first place. Serves the tight fisted idiots right.

Am I right in thinking other people run these tyres without a problem though? Which would make this meaningless........

I'll get me coat...

I`ve been told that wobbling 'front wheels' over 70mph is normally related to the rear wheels needing balancing. Even though it feels like its coming through the front.

Maybe worth a try.?

[ QUOTE ]
I`ve been told that wobbling 'front wheels' over 70mph is normally related to the rear wheels needing balancing. Even though it feels like its coming through the front.

Maybe worth a try.?

[/ QUOTE ]

Too much of a coincidence that it happened as soon as the new fronts were fitted,so I won't be looking at the rears.

Incidently,with regard to the F1's.

Braking grip is fine,cornering grip is fantastic,but traction grip ?

Crikey,it's rubbish. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Wheelspin beyond belief when trying to accelerate from a standstill in the wet,accompanied by the VERY loud banging (axle tramp) I used to get in my Golf Gti T,also fitted with F1's.

No such axle tramp with the previous Continentals at all.

I swear I thought something must have broken as I tried to accelerate away from one junction last night,the banging was so bad.

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps you've buckled a wheel? Have you hit any large pot holes?

[/ QUOTE ]

Looks like you might be right.
Asked the dealer to have a go at balancing the wheels and,whilst they acknowledge the balancing was out,they've also commented by driver's side front is buckled.

Fan-dabby-double-dozy... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif

surely the tyre fitter would have picked up on this though?

I've had an alloy diagnosed by a dealer that "will be £350 sir as one is buckled"... later to be found perfectly fine...

[ QUOTE ]
surely the tyre fitter would have picked up on this though?

I've had an alloy diagnosed by a dealer that "will be £350 sir as one is buckled"... later to be found perfectly fine...

[/ QUOTE ]

Well,given that the tyre fitters gave me the wrong tyres,then twice failed to balance the wheels,I wouldn't trust them to notice my car having a buckled wheel even if it was like a clown's car.

To be honest,as long as the steering wheel shake is gone,I couldn't give a toss if the wheel is buckled,so I certainly didn't order a new one straight away.

You could probably get a set of replicas for close to the price of one genuine Audi one.

[ QUOTE ]
Well,given that the tyre fitters gave me the wrong tyres,then twice failed to balance the wheels,I wouldn't trust them to notice my car having a buckled wheel even if it was like a clown's car.

[/ QUOTE ]

aah, good point...

[ QUOTE ]

Incidently,with regard to the F1's.

Braking grip is fine,cornering grip is fantastic,but traction grip ?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is going to sound a bit stupid but get some heat into them and the characteristics of the tyre will change - for the better.

Wait til you get a dry day and give them a thrash and they will improve.

J.

This is going to sound really stupid but can any one confirm what direction the tread on the F1s should be, if fitted correctly, ie should the V start facing the front of the car or towards the rear? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

To follow up this issue,I was on holiday last week and took the car to my local dealer about the balancing/buckled wheel 'issue'.

They subcontract their tyre 'stuff' to kwikfit,so they had some kwikfit boys waiting for me when I got there.

Bottom line was,the balancing was miles out.

The people who fitted my tyres had only fitted weights to the centre of the wheels,whereas wheels of that width really need weights on the inner and outer edges of the wheel,apparently.

Problem solved,and no buckled wheel at all.

Difference is incredible.
Enjoying the F1's too.
Dry grip is astounding.

In fact,the braking grip is better than the brakes,which get a bit hot and bothered as I keep extending my braking markers on my favourite roads.

Not fade,as such.

Just inconsistency in the pedal.
One corner it'll be a nice hard pedal,and the next corner will be mushy.

Oh my... a good word said about kwikfit!! Need to get mine checked then cos I still get a slight wobble.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh my... a good word said about kwikfit!! Need to get mine checked then cos I still get a slight wobble.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know !
The young lad that did the work actually seemed really switched on.

Evidently more so than the chimps that fitted the tyres...

Mine were fitted at National Tyres, never used um before... might never use um again!!

Some years ago (1976) I had a similar problem with front wheel balance on my first Golf. It was OK on it's standard steel wheels (remember those!) but I put on a set of polished Wolfrace wheels and no way could we get these to balance. In the end, as the Wolfrace plant was only just down the road they had the car in to have a look at it. The problem turned out to be the way the wheels are attached to the car. With all VAG cars the wheels locate around a collar on the hub and are only help on by the bolts and not located. The bolts holes are therefore not as accurately positioned as when the bolts are part of the the hubs. Wolface made up some rings which fiiled the space between the collar on the hub and the larger hole in the Wolfrace wheels and was OK and they balanced with no problems at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Enjoying the F1's too.
Dry grip is astounding.

In fact,the braking grip is better than the brakes,which get a bit hot and bothered as I keep extending my braking markers on my favourite roads.

Not fade,as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Enjoying the F1's too.
Dry grip is astounding.

Not fade,as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lost for words J? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/fuck_you.gif

LOL...I must have thought I was having a conversation with the wife, I know I have something to say but never get a word in edge ways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I did ask if the tyres had got any better as he was complaining about lack of grip when starting off and loads of axel tramp!

Just wondered if they had got any better.

J.

[ QUOTE ]

LOL...I must have thought I was having a conversation with the wife, I know I have something to say but never get a word in edge ways /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I did ask if the tyres had got any better as he was complaining about lack of grip when starting off and loads of axel tramp!

Just wondered if they had got any better.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Traction from a standing start,in the wet,is still worse than the Continentals were MB.

I've definitely got to be more careful with the throttle.

If they do spin,I still get the axle-tramp and associated banging racket !

I suppose it's a fair trade-off for the improved cornering and braking grip,wet or dry.