A3 GSM kit, phone cradles and glovebox Ipod connection questions

paulwakinshaw

Reaction score
Hello All,

I have just bought my better half an A3 Sportback 2008 (Pre-facelift) that has a number of feratures which i would like to use, but due to lack of a handbook and a few items of hardware i'm a little stuck, can anyone help?

First: The car is equiped with the GSM phone cradle in the armrest. As I understand it, I need to buy a cradle to suit her iPhone 5 which in itself isnt a problem. What i want to know is how does the phone actually connect to the audio system? Via bluetooth? When I enable the phones bluetooth it cant see any other bluetooth devices, so does my car actually have bluetooth? Is there any way to tell?

Second: There is a Apple 30 Pin connector in the glovebox, and the car has come equipped with a cradle to suit an ipod Mini. Does anyone know where I can get a cradle to suit a Generation 3 iPod Nano?

Third: Once the ipod is connected in the glovebox, how do i get the audio system to switch between CD and iPod? There isn't a button on the head unit for Aux/iPod etc?

Thanks in advance

Paul

Not 100% sure, I seem to recall its a symphony 2. It has a 6 disc multi-changer and I assume thats in the head-unit itself as I have not seen a remote disc changer in the car

Anyone have ideas on the bluetooth whether i have it (or not) and where to get the ipod Nano generation 3 kit/sleeve from?

Cheers,

Paul

Yes mate, you have Bluetooth, reason your phone will not discover it, is because you are most likely trying to search 30secs after turning on ignition. Here is the procedure,

1. Turn Bluetooth on your iphone.
2. Turn ignition on
3. Within 30secs, search for BT devices from phone.
4. Audi BT should now be discoverable.
5. Enter PIN, normally 0000 or 1234
6. Phone should now pair.

In future, if you leave you BT on, when entering the car the phone will automatically connect once ignition is turned on.

Also if you have a MFSW, you can press the speech button to dial calls etc, also press the mode button and it will bring up your phone book on the DIS which you can scroll through and dial a number from there.

As for the cradle, no need to buy as the BT works without. The cradle simply charges the phone and boosts the signal slight using the shark fin antenna on the roof.

1. Feck noes - iv got one but dont see need in using lol
2. I would speak with Audi get some part numbers then hunt eBay, when i got my Audi it came with a bag with loads of different adapters (which i have now lost)
3. As above if you press "CD" twice it should go to ipod dock, obviously needs to be plugged in though,

And what arial does your car have on the roof? As far as im aware if you have the "shark fin" type it indicates you having Bluetooth.

If still unsure, get your phone and turn on Bluetooth, turn car on and as you turn the car on begin searching for bluetooth devices on your phone, within a few seconds it should come up AUD or something like that (does on my galaxys4) then hit pair. Password is 1234 as far as im awaare, if that doesnt work try 0000.

Let us know how you get on pal,

Jonny.

Right then, an update

1: Car has bluetooth and it works, all sorted and no need for the cradle, waste of £100 unless you want to charge the phone constantly.

2: Not resolved, still struggling to find a cradle for a iPod Nano 3rd Gen

3: Works too.

Thanks for the help so far people!