Fed Up of Waiting for New S3

Spook

Reaction score
.... so I've decided to order a Golf R32.

Reasons? Same basic chassis as S3 will have, V6 engine (which new S3 definitely won't have) DSG 'box (which S3 won't have from launch, and probably will never have) options undoubtedly cheaper than they would be on the Audi price list. And I'll get it sooner and probably much cheaper than the new S3 (DSG or otherwise) even taking into account the current waiting list for the R32.

Very annoyed and disappointed with Audi for being put in a position where I have to switch brands to get what I want /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif Seems I am not alone, judging from the number of former S3 owners on the TSN R32 Forum who have already defected.

Anybody else feel the same as me?

don't blame you to be honest.

The S3 release is dragging on, and theres no guarantee's that it'll be any good.

Personally, I think that the best bit of styling on the 8P was the square brake lights, it made the car look nice and wider, and more squat for some reason. But then they changed it.

The r32 would be a really nice car if there were any aftermarket mods to tone down the styling...

[ QUOTE ]

The r32 would be a really nice car if there were any aftermarket mods to tone down the styling...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think it needs mods to down the styling? I don't think it's particularly ostentatious, particularly in black.

Will you do me a favour when you get your R32 ?

Stick it into pseudo-manual and rev it to the redline.

If it changes up for you,then VW's DSG software is the same as Audi's.

If it hits the rev limiter,then the software is different after all.

I'm just curious,ta.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think it needs mods to down the styling? I don't think it's particularly ostentatious, particularly in black.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, you're right - i just googled for a black R32, and it looks very nice...

EDIT: Hang on, i've just seen another, and that had the rediculous silver front bumper insert...

does a black r32 come with this, or is it nice and subtle like the gti?

[ QUOTE ]

no, you're right - i just googled for a black R32, and it looks very nice...

EDIT: Hang on, i've just seen another, and that had the rediculous silver front bumper insert...

does a black r32 come with this, or is it nice and subtle like the gti?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly yes, makes it look like a Passat from the front. But I'm sure something can be done about it (e.g. GTI grille insert)

I looked at a R32 last week in my local VW center while ordering a New Polo for my partner. Looked very nice indeed but it was a manual version. I had a chat with the salesman who told me he'd have the GTi over it, thought it was more fun

Bowfer - if your like to log on to www.tyresmoke.net - there is an R32 Forum in the Volkswagen section. There is a current thread about the DSG on the R32, mainly talking a the launch control, but I'm sure someone would be able to answer your question about the software.

[ QUOTE ]
I looked at a R32 last week in my local VW center while ordering a New Polo for my partner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you get a good deal on the Polo,by any chance ?

Looking at a new Polo or new-style Clio for the wife,but am erring towards the Clio as it's two insurance groups lower,cheaper roadtax and,dare I say it,a bit more 'modern' inside and out.

Nice alloys on the Polo S though.

I could be turned towards the Polo if they're doing good deals.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just changed my wife's car for new Micra 1.2 Sport+, got in on a 2 year PCP, 0% apr - GMFV is about £2k less than the real value so even her deposit is safe - absolute no brainer..

The build quality is superb (better than my A3) and the thing is fully loaded with all the toys - well worth a look.

This doesn't look to bad for a limited edition, in yellow or orange only...

content_models.Par.0134.Image.jpg

Sorry To Hijack the thread. Yep Bowfer got a good deal on 1.4 TDi S 5D. Was putting in a 12 month old Polo Twist TDi, gave me top book and some with 22k on the clock (main reason to get rid of it). Has only cost us 2 new front tyres. Found a dealer that was close to its target for the month but not quite there got a deal then went to my local and got them to match it.

Cracking little car in my opinion, and if your after it some good finace deals on it!

[ QUOTE ]
bowfer, take a look at the Modus, I changed my wife's Clio for one last year, amazing little car, more like a tardis.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offence,but she simply won't look at anything she considers 'odd','uncool' or 'old person'.

So that rules out the Modus,Micra,Swift,Corsa,etc.etc.

To be honest,I'm surprised she's considering the Polo,as I've always thought it has a bit of a 'district nurse' image,but it's quite cool with the new lights and S alloys.

FYI,I've been able to source the two most likely cars at the following prices:

UK cars,sourced from UK dealers:

VW Polo S 1.4tdi (70bhp)5 dr-£10586 (£964 off list)

New style Clio 1.5dci (86bhp) expression 5 dr-£9638 (£1812 off list)

Both from www.gr8cardeal.co.uk.

I drove the new polo when my A3 was in for a dent repair. It was the worst car I have driven, and I used to have an old Astra (G-reg mk3 I think). Think it might have been a 1.0L though judging by the total lack of oomph. Was pretty hairy pulling out of junctions, etc. Need a mile long gap before braving it.

True the build quality was not bad for a small car but it was simply underpowered and too small for me - I'm 6'3". Glad I only had it for the day.

Spook, what makes you think that the new S3 will never have DSG ? I reckon the fact that you can't spec a 2.0T Quattro with DSG says they are holding it back for exclusivity to the S3.

Chris.

[ QUOTE ]
I drove the new polo when my A3 was in for a dent repair. It was the worst car I have driven, and I used to have an old Astra (G-reg mk3 I think). Think it might have been a 1.0L though judging by the total lack of oomph. Was pretty hairy pulling out of junctions, etc. Need a mile long gap before braving it.

True the build quality was not bad for a small car but it was simply underpowered and too small for me - I'm 6'3". Glad I only had it for the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah,it'll have been the 55bhp petrol.

Unlike the tdi's,they don't even have any torque to make up for their poor bhp figures.

Probably dead basic as well.

Slightly better than taking the bus,but not much in it.

55bhp! Didn't know that but I have to say it felt like it!

Slightly peeved to be given that while my A3 was in. Was hoping for something decent. Thats what happens when the Audi and VW dealers are owned by the same bloke.

[ QUOTE ]
Spook, what makes you think that the new S3 will never have DSG ? I reckon the fact that you can't spec a 2.0T Quattro with DSG says they are holding it back for exclusivity to the S3.

Chris.

[/ QUOTE ]

I said "probably", but even if it does get DSG, it certainly won't arrive till at least this time next year - too late for me. Shame.

[ QUOTE ]
bowfer, take a look at the Modus, I changed my wife's Clio for one last year, amazing little car, more like a tardis.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or look at a Smart... dont knock it till you have tried it! We have a cabrio, best smiles/miles car we have ever had..... Quick too.... though you wouldnt go to IKEA and buy a kitchen with one we have never been stuck for room with it....

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or look at a Smart... dont knock it till you have tried it! We have a cabrio, best smiles/miles car we have ever had..... Quick too.... though you wouldnt go to IKEA and buy a kitchen with one we have never been stuck for room with it....

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope,she won't look at one of them either.

Tried to get her interested in the new Colt (the smart uses the Mitsubishi engine),as she had one of those before,but she considers it a bit 'odd' in the styling department as well.

Her 'dream' car is a Mini,but the fact they only come in 3 doors means she simply cannot have one.There's no way in hell I'm having my daughter in the back of a three door car.

I'm quite glad about that though as Mini prices are ridiculous.Helluva lot of money for very little car.Even 3 year old ones are still going for £10k,unless they're high mileage.
£10K for a small car with no warranty any more ?
No ta ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Erring towards the Polo now,as I suspect the build quality will be better than the Clio.I just wish the Polo was a bit less dull inside.
It's like they've sucked all the grey out of the planet and thrown it in there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bowfer, could be worse...Think Lupo.....

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL !

I swear this is true,that's what we threaten employees with if we see they aren't looking after their company car !

"Better clean it mate,or it's a Lupo for you"

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Tried to get her interested in the new Colt (the smart uses the Mitsubishi engine),as she had one of those before,but she considers it a bit 'odd' in the styling department as well.

Her 'dream' car is a Mini,but the fact they only come in 3 doors means she simply cannot have one.There's no way in hell I'm having my daughter in the back of a three door car.

I'm quite glad about that though as Mini prices are ridiculous.Helluva lot of money for very little car.Even 3 year old ones are still going for £10k,unless they're high mileage.
£10K for a small car with no warranty any more ?
No ta ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the colt and the smartfour share the same chasis?

I'd avoid a mini, if you think your audi's poor the mini's in a league of it's own. The only good thing is the 5 year servicing deal.

J.

I had a Brabus Smart up to 180km/h in Switzerland a couple of years back.

Scared the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/swear.gif out of a Porsche driver, we were a tad worried too.

The smell took about a week to clear out of the car, the stains in the seats never cleaned off!

It was completely Upton Park (two stops past Barking).

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't the colt and the smartfour share the same chasis?

I'd avoid a mini, if you think your audi's poor the mini's in a league of it's own. The only good thing is the 5 year servicing deal.

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could be the whole floorpan,not sure.Definitely the same engine though.

The Colt is considerably cheaper though,surprise surprise.

Mini's a pain as well are they ?

Oh well,I can rest assured my decision not to give in to her wish was a sensible one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Thread well hijacked, then...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Well not completely, its still on cars.... could have gone to needlepoint, crochet or brass rubbing.......

So what about this new S3?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'll all have to wait until Audi actually make an announcement - until then it's all speculation regardless of what "evidence" crops up!

[ QUOTE ]
You'll all have to wait until Audi actually make an announcement - until then it's all speculation regardless of what "evidence" crops up!

[/ QUOTE ]

And given the fact that they're unveilling the new TT in 6 days, I can't see them unveiling another high profile car for another 6-12 months.

Spook,out of interest,did you consider the new Alfa Romeo Brera ?

It's stunning.

[ QUOTE ]

It's stunning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its got a fat bum.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

It's stunning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its got a fat bum.

[/ QUOTE ]

So has Jennifer Lopez,doesn't stop me drooling over her.