Fuel Pump Prime

• Thread starter Deleted member 70421
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 70421

Hello,

Can someone with a 2.0 TDi 170 confirm whether they hear the pump prime when opening the drivers door? Or should it only do it when ignition is on?

Cheers

hi mine is the same it only primes when you switch it on. The issue i have is if i don't use the car for a few days it will not start straight away, it takes a coulple of cranks to fire up.
So what i do now is to prime it a few times and it fires on the first crank.

hi mine is the same it only primes when you switch it on. The issue i have is if i don't use the car for a few days it will not start straight away, it takes a coulple of cranks to fire up.
So what i do now is to prime it a few times and it fires on the first crank.

Thats the very same issue I have. Trying to get to the bottom of it as it's getting worse to start from the first cold start of the day. As in takes around 8 goes before it starts.

Noticed its more when the car has half a tank or less of derv left.

I have the same problem: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-...hen-fuel-less-than-half-tank.html#post2172753

I've recently got a used in-tank pump from a friend, for testing and the starting problem has gone.
I'm going to buy a new pump.

The problem is that there is a one-way valve on the circuit that should prevent the fuel to drain back in the tank. This valve is failing and can't keep the system pressurised.

A lot of details here: 2005 BEW PD lift pump operation and internals - TDIClub Forums