EM TuningJMB Retrofits
    Reverse Gear

Status

Audi A3 Turbo gone? Loud hissing, no power!

So my Audi a3 80 1.4 tfsi 2010 has been in limp mode but that was a while ago. Since then all was well until 3 days ago the car sometimes had a bit of power but now none at all. Feels like there is no turbo! When accelerating there is a loud hissing sound better heard from the passenger seat when window is open. Took it to a friends garage and they took the air filter off and another part which made the turbo spinning part visible. There was a tiny bit of play/movement in it and whereas its only meant to spin. Unplugged the MAF sensor but no difference. What could it be?!

2. # ADS
    ADS

6+1 Gears

Status
    Boost pipe off?
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Neutral

Status
    Sounds like boost pipe if you're hearing a noise like that

6+1 Gears

Status
    I don't know if your engine has a EGR valve and cooler. In my case, the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR cooler was cracked. This pipe is flexible in the middle and cracks easily.
    I also heard hissing noise and there was a lack of power that I couldn't explain for a long time, despite the fact that I have a bigger turbo than stock.
    Only when I did the EGR and cooler delete I found that cracked pipe.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

English...not so good

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    I don't know if your engine has a EGR valve and cooler. In my case, the pipe between the exhaust manifold and the EGR cooler was cracked. This pipe is flexible in the middle and cracks easily.
    I also heard hissing noise and there was a lack of power that I couldn't explain for a long time, despite the fact that I have a bigger turbo than stock.
    Only when I did the EGR and cooler delete I found that cracked pipe.
    Which pipe is it? Is it long and thin and connects to the egr with 2 bolts

Reverse Gear

Status
    The boost pipe seems fine but going to take it to a garage tomorrow and see what they say. Just praying that I don't have to get the turbo reconditioned or a new one! Will give an update in what the issue is.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I have exactly the same issue on my A3 2.0TDI, loud hissing heard from passenger seat with the window open. I'm thinking that the intercooler may be leaking but would be very interested to hear what the garage say.

6+1 Gears

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
    Which pipe is it? Is it long and thin and connects to the egr with 2 bolts
    This one:

You can't see it from above the engine even if you remove the intake pipes. Is between the manifold and the EGR cooler.
    IIRC, the long pipe between the cooler and the EGR valve, the pipe that you've mentioned, is one solid pice, without any flexible segment. This one is less likely to crack and leak.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Hi. I had the same problem on a mates mk4 golf GTI. no power and a loud hiss. searched all over to find the leak. only to find that the standard dump.valve was at fault. There's a rubber valve inside that had torn. popped a new dump.valve on and was all sorted.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Took it to 2 garages today, the first said they couldn't tell just by driving it or revving it with the engine cover up what the issue could be so they would need to take the car in to strip it down and find leaks. They would charge £90 for the labour and in the end it may even be the turbo. Im dropping it to another garage in the morning for a full diagnostics and they should be able to find the fault. I will give an update when I hear from them.