Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Reverse Gear

Status

White smoke from rear of engine

Quick question to all who know about audi a3 2.0tdi quattro s line- I am considering purchasing this vehicle but am a bit concerned about white smoke coming from rear of the engine. The a3 has done 53,000, has a full audi dealer service history. (Last service 4000 miles ago) I have taken it for a test drive and everything seems fine, I have the air con a blast to make sure it was working and had a mosey round the engine. When I returned off a 6/8 mile drive there was a small amount of white smoke coming from what seemed to be the rear of the engine- the dealer mentioned that it could be the air con, but I have looked online and it could be something worse. That garage has stated that they will look at the issue before any potential sale. The car is in mint condition elsewhere, from a reputable garage. Just wondering if anyone on here has any advice/comments? Anything appreciated.

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Any leaking coolant hoses?
    TDI PD170 S-Line Sportback... 191.2bhp & 290lb/ft torque @ standard with an iffy turbo! No idea with the new one or Shark Stage 1 remap installed, DPF off Stage 1 ready to go, Suspension & wheels to be fitted... Still....

Reverse Gear

Status
    No leaks that I could see, but admittedly it wasn't a thorough look- engine temp was stable also-

Short Back

Status

White smoke from rear of engine

White smoke is usually burning coolant (or maybe air con fluid)! So it could be a heater hose leaking onto the exhaust, a cracked head, head gasket failure or an air con system leak.

I'd be very careful if I were you.
    2009 A3 SB 2.0T DSG S line
    ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

6+1 Gears

Status
    Behind the engine is th egr cooler which is known to crack and leak. Usually the coolant goes into the exaust and you can see the white smoke behind the car.
    Also, the pipe between the exaust manifold and the cooler has a flexible part in the middle which also may leak ehaust gases but in this case the smoke would be blue.
    Give the car another run and check it properly with a flashlight or something to be sure where the smok comes from.
    A new cooler from store is expensive but I saw a lot at brakers quite cheap, without warranty though.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for all your help- much appreciated- in terms of a decent inspection , if I was looking for damaged head gasket then typical problem is gunk under oil filler cap am I right? Leaking coolant hoses would show as water marks on the floor underneath vehicle? I'm hoping it is just a hose because the rest of the car is mint- would this sort of thing be covered under a garage warranty if it did cause issues later on? Is there anything else I should be looking for? Any other signs that might help diagnose issue if it is serious?

6+1 Gears

Status
    I doubt that it is a hose. In order to see the white smoke it would have to leak a lot. You would immediately see the low coolant level.
    Otherwise, yes, check the oil cap, oil level, coolant level and coolant itself for oil or debris.

Regarding warranty... ask the seller.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap