Do I need a new Diverter valve?

Aqualea90

Reaction score
I have read as many threads as I can on this and can't really find someone with the same symptoms.
I have a revo cai installed and the car has started making this flutter noise under hard acceleration. It usually happens when you accelerate from lower revs and in 3rd. If I go from 2nd at high revs it goes fine. All things I have read say the flutter should happen when you lift off. I only get the big hiss when I lift off and get no flutter. So not too sure if it is actually meant to sound like that or not??

Also, the main symptom which makes me think (hope) it's the dv is the fact it feels underpowered. It is remapped and I struggled to pull away from a 330d the other day whereas before this would have been an easy win... Sometimes it goes as normal, usually when I go from second at high revs. It almost feels like the turbo isn't kicking in for sone reason... Then when the revs get up you can feel it trying to go.
Diverter valve? - YouTube

That's the YouTube link to the flutter, apologies for the quality, you should be able to hear it and it is a lot louder in person!

Also, it is going in soon for a new clutch/flywheel/thrust bearing. Don't know if that would be the cause if this though.

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

have you removed and checked ?

No I was going to but have read it quite tricky?? Is it a quick enough job? 2009 s3

isnt the diverter at the top front of the engine bay in the S3 with k04?

Yes it is but it was just seeing if anyone else has experienced the same thing to save any hassle. I'll take it off and look tomorrow.

By the sounds of the flutter that usually means requested boost is being made and the flutter is the boost level being maintained.
Who's map is on the car?
Due to the warmer temps cars aren't going as well as they do on cooler days and the other thought is how do you know the 330d wasn't mapped?

Thats exactly what I was gonna say as a remapped 33Od is fairly rapid and will give a mapped S3 a run for its money.

also diesels are far easier to drive to max power. Petrols are much less forgiving.

Yes I did think that the 330 could have been mapped but just the fact the car hasn't been feeling right the past couple of days. Weather has been good tbh but didn't think it would have had that big of an influence.

Its a Torquetronix remap done apparently around 20-25k ago. Should I try putting the old intake on and see if it makes any difference? Along with checking the DV? Or do you not think that is the issue?

When I got the car it just felt like the power was relentless, but now it just feels a bit dead sometimes.