A3 Sportback 8PA CJ4 Space Saver Spare Wheels

adrian41uk

Reaction score
My A3 8PA has a 125/70 R16 space saver spare wheel.

The four road wheels are 255/45 R17 alloys.

I've recently retrofitted a westfalia detachable towbar system.

After much searching & looking on a 'popular auction site' I've discovered that only the spare wheel foam tool insert for the 18" space saver spare has the cut-out for the removable section of the towbar - the 16" version doesn't have enough space.

Sooo, my question is ... If I purchased an 125/70 R18 space saver spare wheel I could then purchase the foam insert & be able to store the towball inside the car - great. But would the 18" space saver be legal? Would it be an MOT failure? Would it safe to run with 3 main tyres being 17" & the spare being 18" ?

(I've checked, by borrowing from a colleague at work, the 18" will fit in the well & his foam insert is the one that I'm looking for).

Thanks

Adrian

Couldn't you just purchase the foam and put your existing wheel/tyre in the space?

The wheel will be secured at the centre anyway, so if the fitment is a little 'loose' it wouldn't matter.

Unfortunately, I don't think that will work. The spare wheel fits 'upside down' in the well in the boot, the foam insert fits inside of the upturned wheel. The foam insert that I need will fit inside of an 18" space saver wheel but is too big to fit inside of the 16" space saver that came with the car, hence my wanting to change out the R16 space saver for an R18.

Removed my space saver wheel the day i bought the car.
Have 2 tins of tyre foam and a decent 12v pump instead.

Had 2 punctures over the years and the foam sealed them both enough for me to get to a tyre shop and get it fixed or replaced in one instance.

So why not just ditch the spare and buy a 12v pump and a tin or 2 of tyre foam?

I am thinking to replace my useless foam puncture kit with steel wheel.I have 17" tyres(225/45) and I am not sure if I can use 16" steel(205/55).What kind of bolt pattern,center bore,width or offset I should looking for?

Removed my space saver wheel the day i bought the car.
Have 2 tins of tyre foam and a decent 12v pump instead.

Had 2 punctures over the years and the foam sealed them both enough for me to get to a tyre shop and get it fixed or replaced in one instance.

So why not just ditch the spare and buy a 12v pump and a tin or 2 of tyre foam?

Because a tin of tyre foam won't seal a sidewall blowout or any kind of major slash to a tyre.. :notme: