Whats the best way to clean & remove the EGR (2003 2,0TDI)

lesteague

Reaction score
I know there are a million posts on EGR's & cleaning but thought it was worth a quick broadcast to ask the following:

1) Whats the easiest way to remove the EGR
2) Is there anything to look out forward once removed i.e. clips/bolts etc that might fall out
3) Is brake cleaner the best stuff to clean the carbon off - needless to say i'll be using brushes/scrapers etc
4) I may do the the inlet manifold at the same time, will brake cleaner damage the inlet manifold - it's made from a hard plastic?

Thxs

Got mine off today , cleaned with carb cleaner , dipped in petrol / diesel mixture
And scraped off with a flat screw and an old rag

I couldn't see the the EGR , absolute caked.

Also cleaned the inlet manifold , absolute filthy ,

Cleared code with scanguage, hopefully that sorts it and car feels responsive and a lot smoother :)

I would advise cleaning manifold as that would also be full of it , without doing so will cause the EGR to gunk up a lot quicker , every 6 months il be getting it flushed out

Enjoy the pic lol

Please note , youl need a good clean after you've done it lol

I'm saving this til the weekend, it looks like a seriously messy job.

What size are the bolts on the intake manifold?

I'm saving this til the weekend, it looks like a seriously messy job.

What size are the bolts on the intake manifold?

7mm I think , i just cleaned the EGR etc lol I would defo reccomend cleaning the manifold , absolute shocking mate

It took 1 hour 30 mins with 3 people doing the job

the local mechanic helped me do it lol

Sorry, I meant the size of the intake bolts to the head.

I spoke with Audi who confirm the Nm Torque setting is 22nm for my 2003 model, but the bolts to remove the intake manifold appear to be torque bolts?

Sorry, I meant the size of the intake bolts to the head.

I spoke with Audi who confirm the Nm Torque setting is 22nm for my 2003 model, but the bolts to remove the intake manifold appear to be torque bolts?

TBH honest mate , I don't have a clue what the mechanic used , I was too busy watching. Football and cleaning the EGR And not even a day the EML has come up so now what ? EGR delete and remap ?

But car seems fine

I've read a few threads whereby people report after cleaning the EGR a CEL is thrown, does anyone have any ideas why this would happen?

InvincibleA3,
Did you use new gaskets after cleaning the EGR & intake manifold?

I wonder if cleaning the EGR with the wrong fluid cleaner causes the EGR diaphragm to fail - it is after all only a soft rubbery plastic.

Alternatively cleaning the EGR & diaphragm could potentially uncover a problem similar to the following example:
VW JETTA TDI EGR valve bad. A LOOK INSIDE. Excessive Flow 16786/P0402 - DragTimes.com - although I'd expect if it did the EGR is well on the way out in any case so regardless you'll end up replacing the unit at some point.

For those in the know if the diaphragm was starting to fail how could you test it or what would the tell tell signs be? I'd guess one symptom could be low MPG, perhaps the DIS would indicate low MPG if you're heavy on the accelerator initially but then balance out once a constant speed is achieved?

Last edited:
Final got around to doing this job at the weekend. The soot & waste that came out of the EGR body was quite impressive.

Although it's not a difficult job it is fairly time consuming, also if you don't have a decent array of tools I'd be less inclined to carry out this job as you will require torque bits/allen keys.

Remove the air intake snorkel as this makes life a lot easier & cap the EGR vacuum port to stop cleaning fluid & debris falling into it & I recommend replacing all three gaskets - might as well if you're prepared to clean the EGR.

I've used Terraclean in Chorley garage and yo only need to wait for a hour for that Terraclean machine to clean all carbon out from your car. Best spend £108, will do it again in 6 months time.