A3 Alloy Wheels Cleaner?

one_team

Reaction score
Hi lads,

I was wondering what you guys thought was the best product - and indeed method - of cleaning A3 alloys?

Previously, I've used the 'Wonder Wheels' product which you brush on and wash off.

A mate of mine who has a Cupra R with 5 arm 18" wheels (same as my Sportback S-Line will have) didn't rate this at all and I've heard rumours of this stuff rotting ones alloys!

What do you think?

One Team

I use Autoglym wheel cleaner and have never had any problems yet. Although I spray it on and wipe the wheel with a wet sponge then wash it all of straight away. I think the instructions tell you to leave it on a minute or two but I dont find I don't need to.

i just wax them with the p21s when im doing the car,then when i wash it next time the brake dust comes off easily,im not to keen on the heavy duty stuff to be honest.

Prolonged use of the wonder wheels stuff will definately dull your alloys - it's acidic. Good for getting the ground in crud off once in a while.

Personally I used one of the green sponge/scrouring pads for non stick pans with a bit of car shampoo, keeps the wheels nice and clean without using harsh solvents.

J.

Thanks J.

I've also heard the 5 arm 18" alloys are rather on the "soft" side and can be prone to warping and changing shape.

Any thoughts?

One Team

Meguairs nxt tech metal polish for me with some 'tough seal' stuff thrown on every now and then

Been using muc off for a few years now. Spray on leave for 2 mins and powerhose off.

I use the normal car shampoo on a weekly basis and only use the hot rims occasionally when they get bad.

works a treat and wont damage your alloys!

Thanks **** et al - Hot Wheels sounds good too.

Can you pick that up at Halfords?

One Team

I try not to let my wheels get so dirty that I need to use anything other than car shampoo but,when I do,I've had no problems with Wonderwheels at all,either on this motor or my A4.

[ QUOTE ]
I try not to let my wheels get so dirty that I need to use anything other than car shampoo but,when I do,I've had no problems with Wonderwheels at all,either on this motor or my A4.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wonder Wheels will attack wheels over a long enough period.

As will the Autoglym product.

I appreciate this won't apply to everyone...but I had a long chat to Autoglym's technical department about products suitable for cleaning my BBS RSIIs in my S3...they confirmed that Wonder Wheels will kill them by getting into the joints of the multi-piece wheels and corroding from the inside, outwards.
Surprisingly, they also commented that their wheel cleaner would also do the same.

Engine cleaner was considered, and dismissed as potentially too harsh.

The solution is Autoglym's Motorcycle Cleaner.

It's formulated to clean chain oil and flies from bikes...but isn't an acid or alkalai...simply a detergent.
It works well...
I apply it with a spray bottle, brushing it in like Wonder Wheels...then hose off.

It'as not as aggressive as Wonder Wheels...but does the same job, even if it takes a couple of applications to do it.

I also use it on my GT3 single piece wheels...and I can be assured of no damage caused by the cleaner product...which is good enough for me.

Just a thought...

[/ QUOTE ]But wonder Wheels will attack wheels over a long enough period.

[/ QUOTE ]

How often would you have to use it and over how long a period though ?

It may,for the sake of argument, attack wheels if you use it every day over a five year period,but occasional use ( maybe 3 or 4 times a year) on cars I've kept for as long as 3 years hasn't given me any problems at all.

The best product,in my book,is the easiest product,and wonder wheels is a piece of proverbial to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

Interesting comment on the motorcycle cleaner.

I've still got some of that from my two wheeled days so may well try that!

One Team

[ QUOTE ]

How often would you have to use it and over how long a period though ?

It may,for the sake of argument, attack wheels if you use it every day over a five year period,but occasional use ( maybe 3 or 4 times a year) on cars I've kept for as long as 3 years hasn't given me any problems at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen evidence of dulling on single piece wheels in about a year...used 2 or 3 times a week.

Occasional use shouldn't be a problem as long as it's very well washed off afterwards - as that appears to be the issue...

[ QUOTE ]

The best product,in my book,is the easiest product,and wonder wheels is a piece of proverbial to use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

All valid points...but it's good because it's strong.

I still use it on refurbished powder coated wheels (that or Autoglym) but won't use it on my 911 wheels no matter what...I've had damage in the past, and I'm not risking it.

It's all personal choice though..