Angry 12 Anti Corrosion Warranty - Left High & Dry by Audi - How To Lose Customers

Yogibear666

Reaction score
Sorry my first post is going to be so negative a post about my experience with Audi UK and Audi Carlisle.

I bought my first Audi last summer after having 3 VW Passats. I got myself a 2005 8P 2.0tdi Quattro which i've been very pleased with up until now.

In December I noticed some bubbling on the right rear arch, the Audi documents said the car had a 12 year anti corrosion warranty so I took it to my local dealership.

They checked the paint depth and confirmed that the paint work was original and they would contact Audi UK. They seamed to forget about me and a chased this up in April and finally Audi agreed to meet 70% of the repair cost so I was to pay £120 which I could live with.

There body shop was very busy so the body shop couldn't fit the car in until early in June.

Car went in and I was given a courtesy car.

2 days later I get a phone call to say that they have started rubbing down the paint and have discovered the car has previously had a repair. This voided the warranty and the repair bill has gone from £120 to £1500+vat.

Now I bought the car privatly last year, the previos owner was a retired policeman who had bought it as an Approved Used Audi and was only selling as he had racked up 18000 miles in 4 years. Previous to him the Second Owner had also bought the car as an Approved Used Audi. I contacted both previous owners and the first owner told me he had bought it at 14,000 miles from Audi and it had been a demonstrator.

I folled this up and got copies of the service history for the car from the garage that sold it to him. At the first service point there is 1 line that states 3. Car has previously had rear end repair. I didnt know this previously, what makes this so annoying is this reapir was carried out by the first owner of the car, and the first owner of the car was VW Group UK.

Audi however instist that as I can not provide proof the VW Group repaired the car at an VW/Audi Approved body shop they will not help at all.

Today Munwarh told me Audi UK were not prepared to assist me and that I was simply unlucky and to please return the courtesy car and collect my un-repaired car which is in quite a state. The large areas that have been rubbed down covered with gaffa tape, wheel arch liner not refitted, bump strip trim not refitted and two new scratches down the side of the car.

I've attached pictures of the current state of the car which is how Audi has left me.

I went from work and took the car to two other body shops to get quotes, I explained what had happened and both refused to quote because the work has already been started by Audi. The second one had a good look round the car and told the the left side is starting to corrode as well, he checked the seams and said that said was all original and that side should defiantly be covered as its original and is rusting from the inside out.

They also said that the body shopped has tried to jack the car on the sill and it has collapsed upwards due to the corrosion.

Suffice to say there is a good chance I will never deal with Audi UK or this Dealer ever again, feel truly screwed .

Any advice on anything I can do would be really appreciated.

Image zps4252e17e

Image zpsaf53f570

Image zps02d997e2

Image zps013fadf0

They do anything to get out of claims.

Only thing you can do is small claims
I have no idea why 2 shops refused to quote tho that's just stupid.
And welcome to the forum.

Sounds pretty ****ty. Hope it all works out mate, welcome to the forum

Try the small claims court or get a solicitor involved - trouble is you might end up paying more than the cost of the repair itself. Have you spoken to Audi customer service directly or via the dealer? It could be argued that as Audi approved the repair and had stated that the paint was original then they should bite the bullet.

I would have asked them to return the car to its previous state before accepting it.

Reactions: leeds2592
That's absolutely disgusting that they started it, said they could do it and told you to come and pick it up in a worst state than when you dropped it off with them.

I wouldn't let it lay, keep pestering them and make a nuisance of yourself. Have you written to Audi UK about the 'repair' and the state your car is now in?

Shocking . Consult CAB & Trading Standards .

Reminds me of my ex's , not VAG. The rear arches were rusting , but I could also see a poor air brush smart repair.

Now she bought it like that, if I was with her then I would of told her to avoid.

I know they repaired it for sale as they have a mobile PDR/Smart repair attached to the group.

Cause they refused the claim because of their own poor work.

That's absolutely disgusting that they started it, said they could do it and told you to come and pick it up in a worst state than when you dropped it off with them.

I wouldn't let it lay, keep pestering them and make a nuisance of yourself. Have you written to Audi UK about the 'repair' and the state your car is now in?

That's how they work warranty work they will get the time and money back for from Audi UK but once Audi UK have kicked the claim out they stop work on it so basically the lads wont get any time for building the car back up.

Try ringing Audi UK or e-mailing them as i did this and had a reply back in a few days but then again my rusty front wing had not had any after factory paintwork but the person at Sheffield Audi did pass on the threat that if they found out it had had repairs before they would just stop work on it and leave it at what ever state its in which didn't bother me as I work in a body shop and was 99.9% definate it hadn't apart from the rear bumper which I got done when I bought the car.

All you can do is argue that you thought the idea of them doing a paint depth measurement was to insure that it was factory paint work and if they was unsure then the car claim should have been at least look in too more rather than it left half stripped,rubbed down and now looking an eyesore to drive.

As already said they'd checked the paint depth and said the paint was original and accepted the claim.
Once they accepted the claim and started the repair they should either have seen the job through or put the car back to how it was prior.
Who says the car wasn't repaired by Audi previous to your ownership?
I'm pretty sure you've got a great case on this as if you were told it was t covered and was going to cost £1500 you wouldn't have went ahead with the repair.
Take it all the way.
Get advice from the CAB before contacting Audi UK with all your info.
What an absolute joke,

Reactions: Artimus and Swanny356
Drive the courtesy car through the showroom and then go on to explain you dont get your car back the way gave it they dont either

Reactions: Dave-S3, mozza1202 and leeds2592
Send them a nasty email with the words of watchdog

Sorry to hear what they have done

This is no way to deal with a loyal customer to the group!

Park the loan car next to *Cough a deep river!

Audi customer service appears to be getting worse, its ruining the brand! when i had problems i offered to go down and run bricks down every side of every car on the forecourt ........ strangely enough my problem was soon resolved!

* note i accept no responsibility for your actions

yogi i am never going to use a main dealership again either but for a different reason.Mine is their service department.I have posted recently and wont elaborate only suffice to say they are punting for money all the time and trying anything to find fault with.To top it off they say they will wash and vacumm and it come back the way it went in,no independant for me in the future and probably a better level of service aswell

Welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear about your experience of Audi customer care - sadly it isn't always a good experience.

For me this bit doesn't make sense

Now I bought the car privatly last year, the previos owner was a retired policeman who had bought it as an Approved Used Audi and was only selling as he had racked up 18000 miles in 4 years. Previous to him the Second Owner had also bought the car as an Approved Used Audi. I contacted both previous owners and the first owner told me he had bought it at 14,000 miles from Audi and it had been a demonstrator.

I folled this up and got copies of the service history for the car from the garage that sold it to him. At the first service point there is 1 line that states 3. Car has previously had rear end repair. I didnt know this previously, what makes this so annoying is this reapir was carried out by the first owner of the car, and the first owner of the car was VW Group UK.

Audi however instist that as I can not provide proof the VW Group repaired the car at an VW/Audi Approved body shop they will not help at all

Surely the Audi garage that had it as a demonstrator and sold it to the first owner would have a record of where it was repaired? If it was an Audi garage they would have had the work done 'in house'?

I think you would have had a little more 'protection' or help from Audi if you had purchased it as an Audi approved used car. As you bought privately I don't see how you can automatically expect Audi to pay for a repair that isn't the original build. I agree that if you can find out that the repair was done by an Audi approved garage then they might entertain a claim. However, the chances are it might not have been and so quite rightly Audi expect you to come up with evidence as you bought the car privately.

I think this is where you need to go next as if I were Audi I wouldn't entertain a warranty claim for a car that has previously been repaired (and by the looks of it quite poorly).

I think your treatment by the dealer is staggering but, sadly doesn't surprise me. They should have at least put the bits back on your car. What surprises me here is that they should really have warned you that if they find a previous repair they would do what they have done. Did they give any such warning?

Sorry if you think I'm being pro Audi here but, I always like to look at things from both sides. In this case I think there is probably more facts that need to be known before Audi can be expected to cough up for an expensive repair of an already repaired vehicle.

From what you have said, Audi have already contractually agreed to do the work. It is not something they can withdraw from as you have a legally enforceable contract.

Their stage for investigating had already occurred, and it is what is "past the point of no return". They would have legally also had to put the work back which is now not possible.

Trading standards may help, but they will prosecute rather than help you. You need a small claims court and would imagine you have such a high probability of winning they will go ahead with work. Small claims should only cost around £60 in fees, do it all yourself, the court likes people who do it themselves.

Secondly - how can a price jump where 30% equally £120 to now making £1500?

From what you have said, Audi have already contractually agreed to do the work. It is not something they can withdraw from as you have a legally enforceable contract.

Their stage for investigating had already occurred, and it is what is "past the point of no return". They would have legally also had to put the work back which is now not possible.

Trading standards may help, but they will prosecute rather than help you. You need a small claims court and would imagine you have such a high probability of winning they will go ahead with work. Small claims should only cost around £60 in fees, do it all yourself, the court likes people who do it themselves.

Secondly - how can a price jump where 30% equally £120 to now making £1500?

This isn't correct mate,they can and have the right to stop work on the car at any time just the same as your insurance for instance if they were picky enough to say " you haven't told us about the change of exhaust so the claim is void" even though its your car is stripped down in a bodyshop and that bodyshop would then want some money to put the car back together because the insurance wont be paying for it to happen.

Sadly you are not in as strong a position as you might think. They are very unlikely to back-track once Audi UK have rejected the repair. It's pretty much just unfair to you and complete b.s. that Audi won't even put your car back to a reasonable state.

Your best bet is to chase up the original repair to reinstate your warranty claim, beyond that it's unfortunately going to be a goodwill case that they're unlikely to offer much help on. I know we all want to feel we can expect more in terms of customer service from Audi, but it's just not the case in the majority of situations (especially where they would be losing out on a good deal of money).

Actually, the law is statutory so it doesn't matter what contract Audi or otherwise have said. As soon as they undertook the work, and affected the car, they have to either go ahead as agreed or make it as if nothing has happened. As they have further damaged the car, they have passed the point of no return.

The courts should say Audi inspected the work and found it to be covered by warranty - and this was Audi's moment to reject doing the work, not as and when. The court will always favour any ambiguity in the consumers favour as this is also the law.

I don't know the specifc contract you have which is why I detailed what I know based upon what you have said, but I would still be confident. The only thing that would affect your chances if there is a specific condition that states you are a willing in Audi voiding work if they want to and you accept the car back in whatever condition- i.e. you knew in advance this could happen.

BUT, bear in mind, that condition has to be clear to the average person. Ther is still the argument that Audi misled you into thinking it was approved which is another point I would add, and therefore you had a "fair and reaonsable" right to believe there was no chance the work would not go through and your car would not come back as you offered it.

BTW - if they did damage your car, they are still liable regardless of rust. There will be "contributory" factors such as the rust, but because this was already known and their knowledge of the subject matter deemed expert, they had a duty of care to be more cautious and this would not mitigate them.

Obviously someone with Law qualifications in contract law would make this an easy case ;P but you can still appeal through fast track court AKA small claims. You can also claim your expense too, but the other party cannot claim their costs back to you.