Torqued security bolt.... Cant get it off

S3_Jacko

Reaction score
Hey guys....

looking for some useful information from some wise folk... Talking on the phone and not thinking on what I was doing I torqued the security nut on my front wheel... Now I can't get it off... Yip I know (what an idiot) anyway... I know these bolts are for security reasons and therefore should be difficult to get off, I need to removed this 1...

Bought a new key and have scuffed it all trying that way... So no using that method again when it cost me £50 from Audi...

The rims are painted so hammering a socket over it is out of the question... I have had the idea however of welding a standard bolt to the head and then trying to get it off that way, i'm not a welder tho, so this could be interesting!! Haha...

So have you knowledable folk of ex car rims thieves got any other ideas of anything I could do to get it off...????

might actually bite the bullet and garage it.... Puncture and i'm screwed!!!

Cheers in advance!

What on earth did you torque it up to in order to not be able to get it off?!

If you can get enough of a decent weld then welding a nut on it would probably be the easiest way of doing it.

I carry a breaker bar in my boot for these situations,before that I used to go cap in hand to the local tyre fitters

Might be the way to go then... I'll try weld it then if that doesnt work then i'll drill it

Being on the phone and being in auto pilot, accidents happen!

??? I torque mine to the same as the others - what are they supposed to set to?

Won't welding knack up the paint too ?
I would go the drilling route .
As mentioned , tyre fitters can get them off but dread to think how :sadlike:

Might be the way to go then... I'll try weld it then if that doesnt work then i'll drill it

Being on the phone and being in auto pilot, accidents happen!

If you try welding it and it doesn't work will that not make the bolt harder to drill?
From experience anything that's been heated is an absolute nightmare to drill afterwards.

I torque all my wheel bolts to 110 nm

When u say security bolt do you mean what I know as locking wheel nut?

Can get a special bit you place on and hammer and it's a softer metal it basically forms a new key that may work ?

Yeah man..., the locking wheel nut security bolt...

I'm gonna get a lecky drill and drill it..... Just hope its not a nightmare to get the threads out and i'm not looking forward to it... Cars goin in to get a new catback on it tomorrow so i'll ask the boy whos doing it if hes any ideas

Once you drill the head off and there's no tension on the bolt you'll be able to unscrew the rest with your fingers.
Happy drilling

Reactions: S3_Jacko
Yea , what Marshy said , drilling a small pilot hole helps too , keeps the drill centred .

How about for a seized rounded of wheel stud, what's the best way to get it out?