Grom Audio kits advice/feedback?

RS3dan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

So I have an 07 A3 with a Audi Concert stereo in it (Its double DIN but I'm not sure what makes the difference between Concert 1 & 2 as I assume it never says specifically on it? How do I know?)

I want to be able to play music from my phone through the car, and I'm looking at Grom Audio kits as I've seen them recommended around here sometimes.

I'm looking around online and there seems to be several different kits which look like they basically do the same thing - IPD3, BT3 and USB2P.

I'm not really sure what each of them do differently - does anyone have experience with these? It seems like they are each built to primarily do one thing, so Ipod, Bluetooth and USB respectively, but that all of them have an add-on option to make them do everything else..?

I want it to play via Bluetooth primarily but I like the idea of it charging the phone etc - so basically, which one is the best if any of you have any experience?

My second question is, my car doesn't currently have a CD changer installed - does this mean it will need coding with VCDS or does it just sort of enable the switching option once it recognises something plugged in?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Cheers,

Dan

What phone du have?

Oh sorry yeah that would have been useful to note! Its a 4S but I will eventually upgrade to a 5S so I figured bluetooth would have me covered on those bases, or just a new cable either or

Theres a few companies that all offer similar solutions when it comes to this. I've installed dension, autoleads and connects2 kits and in most cases they're all very similar in the way they work and interface with the headunit.

So just for a bit of background info, in most cases you'll get song information on the display with these kits, but in terms of searching through songs and what not you'll be best of finding something that allows you to use for phone whilst its plugged it (i.e. not in docked mode). This will allow you to go through your albums and playlists and find what you want to listen to much easier than using the headunit. Once thats done you'll be able to skip back and forth from the headunit.

You'll probably find that most kits have 30pin ipod connections. Given the fact you're eventually going to upgrade i'd consider buying something that has the 30 pin with full ipod/iphone compatibility and then you have one of two options. You could either buy the lightning adaptor once you upgrade but the kits are very temperamental from experience. Some connect, some don't, most don't charge because of the difference in power outputs. You'll have to do your research here.

Personally (and this is something i plan to do in the future with my RNS-e), I'd get a kit that allows you to control ipod/iphone and works with iphone 5, and then something like this
Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth Music Receiver, Support Airplay, Audi-A2DP, Mercedes-A2DP and VW-A2DP - PRODUCT - ViseeO Worldwide Official Site
This will allow you to bluetooth stream with whichever kit you have and should work in the same way as it would of with the iphone 4s. Be mindful of the fact that the tune2air only streams bluetooth audio(A2DP) and is not a handsfree device(H2F)

Be careful with some of the cheaper kits, they all do the same job but i've experienced a few with crappy connectors and signal noise.

Also, you'll have a quadlock connection on the back of yours!

Reactions: warren_S5 and RS3dan
Theres a few companies that all offer similar solutions when it comes to this. I've installed dension, autoleads and connects2 kits and in most cases they're all very similar in the way they work and interface with the headunit.

So just for a bit of background info, in most cases you'll get song information on the display with these kits, but in terms of searching through songs and what not you'll be best of finding something that allows you to use for phone whilst its plugged it (i.e. not in docked mode). This will allow you to go through your albums and playlists and find what you want to listen to much easier than using the headunit. Once thats done you'll be able to skip back and forth from the headunit.

You'll probably find that most kits have 30pin ipod connections. Given the fact you're eventually going to upgrade i'd consider buying something that has the 30 pin with full ipod/iphone compatibility and then you have one of two options. You could either buy the lightning adaptor once you upgrade but the kits are very temperamental from experience. Some connect, some don't, most don't charge because of the difference in power outputs. You'll have to do your research here.

Personally (and this is something i plan to do in the future with my RNS-e), I'd get a kit that allows you to control ipod/iphone and works with iphone 5, and then something like this
Tune2Air WMA1000 Bluetooth Music Receiver, Support Airplay, Audi-A2DP, Mercedes-A2DP and VW-A2DP - PRODUCT - ViseeO Worldwide Official Site
This will allow you to bluetooth stream with whichever kit you have and should work in the same way as it would of with the iphone 4s. Be mindful of the fact that the tune2air only streams bluetooth audio(A2DP) and is not a handsfree device(H2F)

Be careful with some of the cheaper kits, they all do the same job but i've experienced a few with crappy connectors and signal noise.

Also, you'll have a quadlock connection on the back of yours!

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Sidhu!

I wonder how cheap is cheap for these things? The Grom boxes run out at about 100-140, I had heard about Denison actually and then forgot about it again! Those seem quite expensive for what they do though and again I can't figure out which I need haha - useless!

To be clear were you implying you wouldn't go down the Grom route for one reason or another or simply that you'd tried the ones you named all to similar effect and will now try the little Bluetooth adaptor thing? I say this because those I'm looking at do Bluetooth build in already, well one does anyway the other has an adaptor..

In your experience did the units you used go plug n play or does it need coding to enable multiCD?

Cheers,
Dan

I put the GROM ipd3 with BT dongle in the O\H's Polo and the BT packed up after less than 18 months, when I had it in mine for a month or two, it wouldn't change track via the HU, I had to do that via the iPhone itself, I had to jailbreak it and use an app downloaded from Cydia (Music Controls) which allowed the car stereo to control it It's a very limited device & it didn't last very long, so you might be better off with a Dension or something else

I put the GROM ipd3 with BT dongle in the O\H's Polo and the BT packed up after less than 18 months, when I had it in mine for a month or two, it wouldn't change track via the HU, I had to do that via the iPhone itself, I had to jailbreak it and use an app downloaded from Cydia (Music Controls) which allowed the car stereo to control it It's a very limited device & it didn't last very long, so you might be better off with a Dension or something else

Oh dear.. That is a bit poor isn't it! Did you ever go back to them, particularly re the controls not making it back through the HU as I'm pretty sure that's a feature they state themselves lol.. Time to go and figure out Denison perhaps!

I didn't bother because i bought it off eBay, I shipped it to my Wife's car & bought a 3rd party head unit that play just about every type of media.

Reactions: RS3dan
Thanks a lot for the detailed reply Sidhu!

I wonder how cheap is cheap for these things? The Grom boxes run out at about 100-140, I had heard about Denison actually and then forgot about it again! Those seem quite expensive for what they do though and again I can't figure out which I need haha - useless!

To be clear were you implying you wouldn't go down the Grom route for one reason or another or simply that you'd tried the ones you named all to similar effect and will now try the little Bluetooth adaptor thing? I say this because those I'm looking at do Bluetooth build in already, well one does anyway the other has an adaptor..

In your experience did the units you used go plug n play or does it need coding to enable multiCD?

Cheers,
Dan

I'm not entirely sure what the Grom units are like so I've only commented based on what I've had experience with, but yeah they all work fairly similarly. Nothing has really stood out and made me go "wow, thats good". They're all mediocre at best for use, sound quality is generally good being a digital connection, but as I mentioned you get some signal noise on some of them.
In all honesty it comes down to your budget and how far you're willing to go. Dension kits are expensive but they seem to be pretty good, if not one of the best. The audi system is a real PITA sometimes. I've got an RNS-e in mine and nothing works properly so I just use SD cards and Aux. If you can get something OEM that would be the best thing to do. The best thing would be to change it all together, but like I said.. all depends on your budget

Reactions: Artimus
Cheers - the Denison units were about 350 I think when I glanced at the website which I'm not gonna pay just to plug my phone in haha.. I'm looking more around 150-200 but I'll look properly at Denison again to see if I didnt miss what I need in that range.. I guess as you say they're all of a similar ilk within price ranges..

Does anyone know if coding is required, and how would I get my HU to 'look' for a cd changer ie switch to it to see if it already does?

Hi Dan,

I wrote a thread on a Grom Audio box I fitted to my car, sounds like my requirements were similar to yours, I primarily use Bluetooth to play music back, hear map instructions and any other phone audio through my car speakers, I then use the USB connector with my iPhone cable plugged in to charge my phone whenever I need it to.

Here's the thread: http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/car-en...h-phone-connection-symphony-ii-head-unit.html

The only difference is that you have a Concert without CD changer built in, I'm thinking that if you already have one single CD slot then when you plug in the Grom it should just enable you to press the CD button again to get the the "CD changer mode" under which the Grom sits. That's what I have to do and it didn't require any coding at all. Failing that give the seller a call, I' sure they'll help! I bought from carputer-shop, they were happy to help over the phone when I called up.

With regards to which box does what, the IPD3 allows you to plug in your iPhone/iPod and control it with the head unit, however the Bluetooth allows you to do that anyways. USB2 is for Android phones, and BT3 has the bluetooth built into the box, I went for the AUX3 box so that I could place the Bluetooth receiver where I wanted and had a bit of extra length for the mic. That also comes with a cable that gives you a USB port and an aux in cable.

Hopefully I've answered all of your questions except your worry about the coding. Shout back if you have any more questions!

Cheers - the Denison units were about 350 I think when I glanced at the website which I'm not gonna pay just to plug my phone in haha.. I'm looking more around 150-200 but I'll look properly at Denison again to see if I didnt miss what I need in that range.. I guess as you say they're all of a similar ilk within price ranges..

Does anyone know if coding is required, and how would I get my HU to 'look' for a cd changer ie switch to it to see if it already does?

Most have been plug and play, no coding required. Theres only one i've ever had an issue with and that was a proper crap spec mk5 golf that had the lowest spec everything. Worst case scenario you can check who has vcds within ur area and get them to make any coding changes. By the sounds of it, assuming you don't have an ipod input already (and knowing you dont have a cd changer) then you should have an empty port and it will hopefully be plug and play.

Cheers for all the advice guys, very helpful! In my travels I stumbled across xtrons units so I'm considering going that direction now.. Seems you get so much more for the cash sort of thing; although I've never wanted inbuilt navigation they don't seem to make one specifically to fit A3s that don't have it so! Found the pf71a3a for £220 as a refurb unit, probably gonna take a risk with that! Can get it with a 2yr warranty for 50£ more so I can't really see a problem.. He says haha!

Would recommend getting the warranty. If you havent bought it already i'd suggest doing your research, i've installed these and similar units aswell and yes they do everything but the way in which they do it is mediocre at best. You get what you pay for when it comes to audio. If you're already thinking to stretch as far as that, another £100 and you're in RNS-e mk2 territory. Save up?

I see.. Interesting..I've read a bit about them but I'm never really sure who's are genuine opinions and who are those expecting everything for nothing so to speak, as you say you get what you pay for and to be honest I'm under no illusions, just not as picky/expectant as some - when you say mediocre what do you actually mean? You seem to have a pretty honest opinion so if appreciate it..! I didn't think RNSE was £350 territory? But then that still doesn't do Bluetooth and perhaps not even iPod (?) without further add on.. Does it..?

I see.. Interesting..I've read a bit about them but I'm never really sure who's are genuine opinions and who are those expecting everything for nothing so to speak, as you say you get what you pay for and to be honest I'm under no illusions, just not as picky/expectant as some - when you say mediocre what do you actually mean? You seem to have a pretty honest opinion so if appreciate it..! I didn't think RNSE was £350 territory? But then that still doesn't do Bluetooth and perhaps not even iPod (?) without further add on.. Does it..?

The software for everything is mediocre, the hardware is mediocre, the sound quality... mediocre. It has everything like I said, but quality just aint there. Buy cheap buy twice as they say. You could probably pick up a used one for that sorta price, obviously i'd suggest a mk2, its gonna be a bit of luck to get it for that sorta price but then if uve got the rns-e to begin with then over time you could add the extra bits on that you need. I retrofitted an aux to mine for about £40, no reason why you couldnt do that to begin with and then in time get AMI/bluetooth module. The tune2air works perfectly with AMI so you could eventually get everything you needed