• 1 Post By Sayam
  • 2 Post By wuta3
  • 1 Post By shortfletch11
  • 1 Post By shortfletch11

Thread: S3 with 19" wheels ???

Neutral

Status

S3 with 19" wheels ???

Hi guys, just bought my S3 and want to do a few bits to it to increase the bhp but I'm also looking at putting 19" wheels on there.

Will this effect the performance off the car and should I stick to 18" wheels??

i don't mind about the ride being bumpy etc but I don't want to waste my time on engine mods to then put 19"s on it and it be a waste of time.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    Smaller wheels generally mean much better performance. By sticking with wheels close to the size of your stock wheels, you’ll get the best ride out of your vehicle. Smaller wheels also allow you to accelerate and stop faster. The bigger the wheel, the more force required to get it moving and to stop again once it has gained momentum. Even the cornering benefits of wide wheels with low-profile tires can be negated by the extra weight of larger wheels. Driving with small wheels that are much lighter, allows drivers to experience greater overall performance and handling than with large wheels.
    S3Alex likes this.
    | Ibis White Audi S3 8P3 S-Tronic | Milltek TBE | Autotech HPFP | ITG Maxogen Intake | APR Stage 2+ | 373bhp - 386ft-lbs |
    Next:
    | RS4/R8 Injectors | Uprated FMIC | Uprated Turbo |

3rd Gear

Status
    I fitted 19" RS3 Rotors to my 2010 S3 Sportback

I can assure you there's no drop in performance and the extra width actually improved handling for me.
    2010 Audi S3 Sportback Black Edition TFSI Quattro

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamS3 View Post
    Smaller wheels generally mean much better performance. By sticking with wheels close to the size of your stock wheels, you’ll get the best ride out of your vehicle. Smaller wheels also allow you to accelerate and stop faster. The bigger the wheel, the more force required to get it moving and to stop again once it has gained momentum. Even the cornering benefits of wide wheels with low-profile tires can be negated by the extra weight of larger wheels. Driving with small wheels that are much lighter, allows drivers to experience greater overall performance and handling than with large wheels.
    I'd disagree with this mate, the 19s although larger should have a lower profile tyre to compensate so you get the same rolling diameter. Would have thought the weight difference was marginal too.
    S3 - Sprint Blue BE [MY11] My Build Thread
    Options - Satnav, Bluetooth, MFSW, Privacy Glass, Nappa Leather
    Mods - Bluefin Stage 1, DV+, Revo Race CIA, Cruise, TPMS, Bilstein B8s, Eibach Pro Kit, H&M Spacers, Exclusive Leather Trims
    Future - Downpipe sports CAT, HPFP, Stage 2+, ALK, ARB, 2nd Mortgage

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic69 View Post
    I'd disagree with this mate, the 19s although larger should have a lower profile tyre to compensate so you get the same rolling diameter. Would have thought the weight difference was marginal too.
    you won't see much difference at all changing to 19" that was just a general summary of physics and wheels haha, you would notice a difference if say you went 3" more or 3" less
    | Ibis White Audi S3 8P3 S-Tronic | Milltek TBE | Autotech HPFP | ITG Maxogen Intake | APR Stage 2+ | 373bhp - 386ft-lbs |
    Next:

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamS3 View Post
    you won't see much difference at all changing to 19" that was just a general summary of physics and wheels haha, you would notice a difference if say you went 3" more or 3" less
    Yeah like monster truck or mini 12", lol
    LiamS3 likes this.
    S3 - Sprint Blue BE [MY11] My Build Thread
    Options - Satnav, Bluetooth, MFSW, Privacy Glass, Nappa Leather
    Mods - Bluefin Stage 1, DV+, Revo Race CIA, Cruise, TPMS, Bilstein B8s, Eibach Pro Kit, H&M Spacers, Exclusive Leather Trims
    Future - Downpipe sports CAT, HPFP, Stage 2+, ALK, ARB, 2nd Mortgage

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by mechanic69 View Post
    Yeah like monster truck or mini 12", lol
    lol
    mechanic69 likes this.
    Next:

Rarely neutral

Status
    The general view from my guys,who run a BTCC race team,is 18's for handling and 19's for show.

I went from the stock 18" x8 rims to 18"x9 lightweight rims to allow wider tyres,but without changing anything else.

Everyone and his dog has a view on this topic,but mine was to stick with the good advice I'd been given,and it does handle well.

If you're going to modify the engine,you'd need to uprate the braking and handling,and it would be a shame to go forwards in one area and back in another.

Neutral

Status
    Cheers for the info guys

2nd Gear

Status
    Mines not a S3 but I must say having had both 18 and 19 inch wheels the 18s are much comfier. Personally I'd go as far as saying the A3 doesn't take 19s well at all, but they look awesome so it's swings and roundabouts. Also the S3 suspension is different to mine that may be able to handle 19s better...
    S3Alex likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie23 View Post
    Hi guys, just bought my S3 and want to do a few bits to it to increase the bhp but I'm also looking at putting 19" wheels on there.

Will this effect the performance off the car and should I stick to 18" wheels??

i don't mind about the ride being bumpy etc but I don't want to waste my time on engine mods to then put 19"s on it and it be a waste of time.
    I had 18" on mine as standard and 19" were my first mod. defo no difference in performance and looks miles better IMO.

See below, before and after pics.

Attachment 34340

Attachment 34341

I also had some AP Coilovers fitted to adjust the arch gap and also minimise the amount rubbing.

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    The general view from my guys,who run a BTCC race team,is 18's for handling and 19's for show.

I went from the stock 18" x8 rims to 18"x9 lightweight rims to allow wider tyres,but without changing anything else.

Everyone and his dog has a view on this topic,but mine was to stick with the good advice I'd been given,and it does handle well.

If you're going to modify the engine,you'd need to uprate the braking and handling,and it would be a shame to go forwards in one area and back in another.

Come on, you can't argue with those wheels. Perfectly matched to the car/proportions. Stance looks epic. Perfection.
    mechanic69 and S3Alex like this.
    ​​Programmer/Web Developer, Headphone/Amp Geek
    06 SLine Special Edition Phantom Black 2.0T FSI Quattro A3
    Done: P-Flo, RevD, Sachs Organic, Milltek TBE + Res + Sports cat
    Wanted/Next:Intercooler, HPFP, Remap

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfletch11 View Post
    I had 18" on mine as standard and 19" were my first mod. defo no difference in performance and looks miles better IMO.

Attachment 34340

Attachment 34341
    I think it depends on what you're after from the car and the mods.

If you want the best handling you can drag out of it,then 18s make good sense,especially if you use lightweight rims,but if that doesn't float your boat then go for whatever suits.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shortfletch11 View Post

Attachment 34340

Attachment 34341

I also had some AP Coilovers fitted to adjust the arch gap and also minimise the amount rubbing.
    Pics working:

CAR.jpg

photo2.jpg
    Muzza80 likes this.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by S3Alex View Post
    I think it depends on what you're after from the car and the mods.

If you want the best handling you can drag out of it,then 18s make good sense,especially if you use lightweight rims,but if that doesn't float your boat then go for whatever suits.
    Apologies for the duplications of my message all!

Agreed mate, each to their own.
    S3Alex likes this.

Rarely neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by wuta3 View Post
    Come on, you can't argue with those wheels. Perfectly matched to the car/proportions. Stance looks epic. Perfection.
    Thank you!

All compliments gratefully received.

Get those things nice and hot,switch off the TC and it really does grip.