140 with air filter

dannyAshcroft89

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I have always had an air filter on all off my cars and now I have a diesel I havent got one yet!
As we know usually it gives it that edge and sounds nice!
I have heard it can block airflow as diesels need all the air they can get, but what about a decent one which is well maintained??
what do people think on the diesel?
Has anyone done it?
And will it cause issues?

Danny, the standard 140 air filter is perfectly adequate for a BKD engine. Diesels rev far less than a petrol, and therefore consume less air in the process. If, on the other hand you wish to map the engine to a higher power output, then perhaps the standard air filter could be changed for something better. Some forum members believe that some of the performance filters on the market make the engine sound better. I would think that running without a filter would allow dust and other particles into the engine which cannot be a good thing. Yes, an air filter needs to be checked, perhaps cleaned, and changed at the correct intervals. I don't believe there is much performance to be gained by changing the standard air filter.

Reactions: dannyAshcroft89
Ok thanks for that,
Yes I will be getting a remap soon and might give it a go with the filter on but I know it wont help in power on the diesel' I just want it purely for the sound, just wasnt sure if it would sound stupid or not?

Iirc the standard filter is good for something around 220bhp so it'll be fine ;)

And it'll make next to nothing to the sound of induction

As above, the standard air filter is good for 200+bhp easily.

You'll be needing a bigger turbo before you need a different air filter!

Yeh standard turbo ino is good upto 220hp, was just for sound so I didnt waist any money, bit sounds like it will be so will go a differwnt route for the sound ;)because I dont think I will be getting as far as 220 just a remap and exhaust will do!
If I want any faster I will just buy a faster car in few years :)
One most probably quatro to keep power on the ground

Turbo on the 140 bkd engine is good for about 185bhp. You could probably get 190 should you not want your turbo to last more than a couple of months. 175 bhp is a better bet from a remap, if you want longevity.

After 185bhp you're looking at a bigger turbo, up until about 220bhp, which is where the injectors are at their max. Only once you've got the big turbo and new injectors do you then need to look at an air filter tbh.