Alfa 159

Enough of this senseless bickering, we're all friends here!

I think the point Bowfer is making is there are a number of issues (e.g. rear suspension, steering racks, non folding mirrors, rattles, fuel filler flaps etc etc) that a lot of people have had\are having which is very annoying indeed. Similarly not a great reaction from dealers to some concerns and not always the level of service expected.

However, there are people who are not experiencing these problems or haven't yet and people who have cars that are fine and have found a good dealer.

Both opinions are as valid and true. The ideal would be the latter but unfortunately the former seems quite prevalent.

There goes my attempt at diplomacy!

[ QUOTE ]

There goes my attempt at diplomacy!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell,I'd vote for you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

A valid point raised by David I think in another thread is people are very quick and loud to voice thier complaints but keep very quiet when things are going wrong.

If Bowfer feels/thinks an alfa will be better than his sportback then good luck to him it's all about personal choice.

Lets all come back here in a years time and see how high up the satisfaction polls the 159 makes it. If it is higher than Audi Bowfer will be justifiably smug /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

J.

[ QUOTE ]

A valid point raised by David I think in another thread is people are very quick and loud to voice thier complaints but keep very quiet when things are going wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit of a freudian slip there me thinks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif

It will be very interesting, as marriedblonde has said, to come back in 12 months time and see how the Alfa 159 is rated. I hope it gets a good rating. It's never nice to see 'interesting' cars from basically good manufacturers getting poor ratings.

The moral in most of these surveys is if you want a reliable car - buy Japanese or perhaps a Skoda although I have my own views on how Skoda seem to be higher placed. But personally most Japanese cars do not appeal to me. Perhaps one day Skoda will make their own A3 !

But although a number of members on this forum have had problems with their A3s, both 3-door and Sportbacks, the position of the car in both build quality and reliability must mean that there are a lot of satisfied customers out there who do not look in at this forum. It would be intersting to know exactly how many new type A3s have actually been sold in the UK. If anyone has access to that information, please let us know.

I'll take a guess, because of the price paid the customers expectations are lower.

So when they prove as reliable as most VAG cars (except bowfers) they are REALLY pleased.

Its a factor in a number of manufacturers cars, low initial expectations leading to good scores.

Ten out ten Mike. Go to the top of the class !

That doesn't bode well for Alfa then does it? I'd imagine most people who buy them aren't expecting them to be reliable or well put together.

Looking at the dscounts you can get on them the dealers are almost giving them away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

J.

[ QUOTE ]

That doesn't bode well for Alfa then does it? I'd imagine most people who buy them aren't expecting them to be reliable or well put together.

Looking at the dscounts you can get on them the dealers are almost giving them away /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

J.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're practically giving away 156's,because there are still stocks of them.

My mate,the Alfa salesman,says they aren't giving much,if anything,on the 159 at all.
Selling very well,mostly to company users.
Unsurprisingly,most of them are one-time BMW or Audi users,all stating they're looking for "something different".
Of course,there's a chance that,when loads of them buy one,they will no longer be 'something different',but I dare say there are still loads of people who will buy for badge only.

I have just been looking at the 159 on the international Alfa-Romeo website (www.alfaromeo.com) and it's certainly a nice looking car.

One very bold statement on the same site says...
"while the 2.4JTDM diesel combines the power of 200 BHP with total reliability"

I not sure most manufacturers would wish to claim 'total reliabilty' for any of their engines.

[ QUOTE ]
I have just been looking at the 159 on the international Alfa-Romeo website (www.alfaromeo.com) and it's certainly a nice looking car.

One very bold statement on the same site says...
"while the 2.4JTDM diesel combines the power of 200 BHP with total reliability"

I not sure most manufacturers would wish to claim 'total reliabilty' for any of their engines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Eessa trans-a-lay-shun.
Eessa no so good.

[ QUOTE ]

And let me guess the Audi salesman told you that all the a3's where being bought by ex BMW drivers...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunno,never dealt with an Audi salesman.

I've no reason to doubt my friend.

If he says it's mostly ex Audi and BMW company car drivers that are becoming interested in the Alfa,then that's exactly what Alfa were hoping for,isn't it.

Skoda always rate high in the polls because people who choose Skoda's always have a story defending their choice.
They are exactly the sort of people who will then respond with overly positive feedback when asked what they think about the car, trying desperately to justify their choice.
Most people have lives and can't be ***** to spend the required 18 hours filling in the JD Power survey unless they've had a particularly bad experience.
Same story with Nissans, OAP's with nothing better to do than bang on & on about how nice the young man was at the dealership when he shafted me with every warranty & finance deal going.

As this thread seems to be developing into a 'love-in' with the Alpha 159, if anyone want more detailed information here are a couple of articles about it from www.car.kak.net

article 1
article 2