sqeaky rotational noise from wheel but no-one can find anything wrong!

tinytdi

Reaction score
Hi folks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this- I am at my wits end!
I started to get a "ch-ch-ch-ch" rotational noise from my NSF wheel when taking a sweeping right hand bend at any speed. The noise has gradually got worse over the last few weeks and is now a much louder squealy binding noise as soon as any weight is applied to the nsf either in a right hand bend or going over bumps.
i have had 3 seperate technicians check the vehicle over the last few weeks and no-one can find anything wrong.
There is no free play in the bearing, the springs are fine, all suspension components are tip-top, the brakes are perfect and there is lots or gap between the disk and the backplate.
DT

the vehicle is a 2011 a3 sportback with 68k miles.

Has anyone experienced similar or has any idea what could be wrong? the noise is getting embarrassing!

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the site.

Have you swapped wheels/tyres round, basic test to eliminate obvious things.

Hi folks.

Thanks for taking the time to read this- I am at my wits end!
I started to get a "ch-ch-ch-ch" rotational noise from my NSF wheel when taking a sweeping right hand bend at any speed. The noise has gradually got worse over the last few weeks and is now a much louder squealy binding noise as soon as any weight is applied to the nsf either in a right hand bend or going over bumps.
i have had 3 seperate technicians check the vehicle over the last few weeks and no-one can find anything wrong.
There is no free play in the bearing, the springs are fine, all suspension components are tip-top, the brakes are perfect and there is lots or gap between the disk and the backplate.
DT

the vehicle is a 2011 a3 sportback with 68k miles.

Has anyone experienced similar or has any idea what could be wrong? the noise is getting embarrassing!

Thanks in advance!

When you say technicians is this at an Audi dealership?

Is the vehicle still in warranty and does it have an Audi service history?

Hi and thanks for the responses.
Yes- the wheels have been swapped front to rear and made no difference.
the warranty expired in November. i did ask audi to take a look but once they quoted me charges for "investigating", I decided to take the car elsewhere. 3 seperate mot technicians have drawn a blank though.

Hi and thanks for the responses.
Yes- the wheels have been swapped front to rear and made no difference.
the warranty expired in November. i did ask audi to take a look but once they quoted me charges for "investigating", I decided to take the car elsewhere. 3 seperate mot technicians have drawn a blank though.

Personally, I'd take it back to Audi if you've been getting it serviced there. Explain to the service advisor what the issue is and ask them if they can have a look whilst you wait - even better if someone can come out with you on a test drive to see what the problem is.

If I'd been getting my car serviced at an Audi dealer and they wanted to charge me for telling me what an issue was I wouldn't be too pleased. I'd expect them to find the problem and then tell me what (if anything) the cost to fix would be. On this occasion I wouldn't mention that you've had anyone else look at it.

That's what I'd be doing if I were in your shoes and the fact that car is not too far out of warranty. This is where I value the fact that I have our S3 serviced at a dealer. As its now over 3 years old the servicing is quite cheap on the fixed price menu. And if anything goes wrong or they try to charge me for diagnosing any issues with a car that I have purchased from them and which has been serviced by them they won't know what's hit em! Lol.